TDC question for F22a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDC question for F22a1

I dont know if this question has been asked but what lines/notches do I align for the correct top dead center point? Ive searched for it up and down on google but it keeps showing me pictures of 3 notches for it to be aligned, but on mine it lines up at the cross notch, they also say something about a white mark, I see nothing. Haynes book isnt very detailed either (as far as the illustrations go)
    I really need some verbal assistance because I have not drove this car since February. And this timing gun doesnt seem to be flashing at the correct alignment point. Please HELP! Lol

ShiroiKinCB

Then just past that white mark you will see 3 lines.
    The white mark is TDC.
    The 3 lines are the BTDC marks.
    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 06-21-2013, 02:10 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

If the indicators/markings on flywheel are hard to see due to age and fading, you can use a stick in #1 cylinder plug hole as you rotate the crank, slowly. The stick will act as a TDC indicator to guide you locating the TDC.
      Make sure that the stick will not jam inside the cylinder.

If base timing is in question, I would use timing marks on the cam gear and a stick to see if the timing belt is skipped or not.
      Last edited by oyajicool; 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM.
      A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
        If the indicators/markings on flywheel are hard to see due to age and fading, you can use a stick in #1 cylinder plug hole as you rotate the crank, slowly. The stick will act as a TDC indicator to guide you locating the TDC.
        Make sure that the stick will not jam inside the cylinder.

If base timing is in question, I would use timing marks on the cam gear and a stick to see if the timing belt is skipped or not.
        Tried that. But my car still idles funny. I did the timing marks on the cam and still the same shit. Im at my witz with this car. I feel I need to see a real live picture rather than some illustrations ive already reviewed. What does it mean if he timing belt has skipped? Skipped a tooth in the gear?

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

Yes thats what he is saying. So you've put your dip stick in cylinder #1 and brought it all the way to the top of the stroke? if so your bottom end is a TDC its your cam timing thats out. Have you at all played with the distributor (Ignition timing)? jump the service connector under the passenger side kick panel, get a timing light and go from there you can play almost a tooth out with ignition timing alone.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Sorry for the shitty tablet picture but this is the mark I see when the marks on the crankshaft line up.
            Its a cross notch rather than the 3 lines I see in some illustrations and my cams are lined up as well. Is there a set position the distributor has to be in before I line up my timing marks?

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

I wouldn't be relying on those markings at the back most of the times unless I know the engine is not messed with from day one from factory. I don't remember if the flywheel had dowel pin to index the orientation. But if it doesn't have that and if someone was messing with the flywheel for resurfacing or something, it could go on in wrong orientation.

Obtaining TDC using a stick is as good as you are going to get, making sure that you have cam gear in that TDC position as well at the same time.

++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe your issue is not in the timing???????
              Last edited by oyajicool; 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM.
              A&P-IA

Comment

To answer your question oyajicool, the flywheel can only be bolted on one way otherwise the bolt holes won't line up properly.

ShiroiKinCB have you checked your timing with your oil pump and harmonic balancer as well?

Comment

So, what you are saying is that the bolt holes are un-evenly spaced.
                  Really ?
                  I guess I have spend a time to go and see my spare block and crank for that.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

That is exactly what I am saying. I maybe wrong, but I believe they do this for balancing and timing purposes as well(this I did not know).

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                      Yes thats what he is saying. So you've put your dip stick in cylinder #1 and brought it all the way to the top of the stroke? if so your bottom end is a TDC its your cam timing thats out. Have you at all played with the distributor (Ignition timing)? jump the service connector under the passenger side kick panel, get a timing light and go from there you can play almost a tooth out with ignition timing alone.
                      You can't fix valve timing by playing with ignition timing.

Comment

Originally posted by 92cb7pnw View Post
                        To answer your question oyajicool, the flywheel can only be bolted on one way otherwise the bolt holes won't line up properly.

ShiroiKinCB have you checked your timing with your oil pump and harmonic balancer as well?
                        Last time I did. I just want to make sure I have the flywheel lined up correctly before I start bolting up all the covers. I did my timing belt once a long time ago after my bday and it ran well. But I never torqued the pulley bolt and it spun off. Did it over again, marked up all my points and now it idles funny and my timing marks dont line up everytime the light flashes on the flywheel.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

I can't comment about the timing light as I don't understand myself how they work. The way I time any F22 I start by taking the crank pulley off and proceed by taking the timing cover off and make sure the Key-way on the crank is lined up with the arrow, above the crank timing gear and than go from there with the camshaft. Timing the balancer and oil pump is a little tedious and annoying because of how easily they spin, but the balancer has a dash on the face of it that lines up with an arrow that is right above the balancer as well. The oil pump has a dot on one of the gear teeth that lines up with a notch that's on the oil pump housing that is above the gear as well. If you still have a funny idle than it could be another issue?

When you say your idle is funny what is it doing exactly? Because a funny idle could be more than just a timing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 92cb7pnw View Post
                            I can't comment about the timing light as I don't understand myself how they work. The way I time any F22 I start by taking the crank pulley off and proceed by taking the timing cover off and make sure the Key-way on the crank is lined up with the arrow, above the crank timing gear and than go from there with the camshaft. Timing the balancer and oil pump is a little tedious and annoying because of how easily they spin, but the balancer has a dash on the face of it that lines up with an arrow that is right above the balancer as well. The oil pump has a dot on one of the gear teeth that lines up with a notch that's on the oil pump housing that is above the gear as well. If you still have a funny idle than it could be another issue?

When you say your idle is funny what is it doing exactly? Because a funny idle could be more than just a timing issue.
                            When I would start the car, it would sound fine. Then it will start to idle at 2000, raise to 2500 then drop back to 2000, then raise again to 2500 then drop back to 2000. It fluctuates for lack of a better term. It never did that before my crank pulley spun off.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

Try burping your radiator you may have an air bubble in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X