transmission leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission leak

I am having several leaks from both engine and tranny ... 2 days ago I cleaned the area at the bottom from oil to isolate the source of the leak... and I realized the oil is leaking from the bottom where the shifter control cable goes inside the tranny and the area around is dry.

what seems to be the problem ?! .. should I open it up .. is there a seal inside ?! there are 2 or 3 bolts than can be loosened
    Last edited by EsperHamid; 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM.

alright I removed the 3 bolts and the holder cover is soaked with oil .. .since this is my first time working with my tranny .. I shot a small clip .. please tell me if there's something unusual and it seems the oil is coming from above .. maybe the axel shaft ?!

here's the video:

some more pics

Last edited by EsperHamid; 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Clean the entire transmission as thoroughly as you can. Then drive around for a few miles and come back home to see if you can narrow down the area. That will give you your best bet in locating the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by gainesvilleCB7 View Post
        Clean the entire transmission as thoroughly as you can. Then drive around for a few miles and come back home to see if you can narrow down the area. That will give you your best bet in locating the leak.
        thanks for your reply but as the picture show .. Leak is even higher than the Axel entry .. so I must assume it is either engine oil or PSF since I am not using Honda genuine... it is strange though how oil is able to travel in such manner ...

What about the shift cable ?! it seems the rubber bushing is torn what symptoms does it have and is it replaceable or I have to buy a whole new cable !?

- valve cover gasket is dry
        - dizzy seal area is dry
        - top (under the hood ) of the tranny is dry as well

- Engine oil pan is oily
        - Alternator is oily
        - Compressor is oily
        - Bottom of the tranny is oil ..
        - There's oil on the area where the head meets the block, I think it is coming from the CAM gear seal ... on my old dead engine, that I left dirty, I could see the traces of oil coming from the cam seal all the way to the mating surface between the head and the block.

- There's also oil on my bottom part of the plastic crank cover..that's engine oil though

Comment

for the time being I cannot drive it, I still working on it but since it is on the jack stands I would appreciate some opinions.

Comment

I would clean the entire engine and transmission, the bay and anything that is able to be cleaned under the hood very very well. With the extent of the build up is it is hard to determine where the leak is coming from. There are a multitude of places that can be leaking, so cleaning it will be the easiest way. If you have a leaking cam seal that needs to be replaced because oil on the timing belt is a bad thing.

Comment

I would clean the entire engine and transmission, the bay and anything that is able to be cleaned under the hood very very well. With the extent of the build up is it is hard to determine where the leak is coming from. There are a multitude of places that can be leaking, so cleaning it will be the easiest way. If you have a leaking cam seal that needs to be replaced because oil on the timing belt is a bad thing.
              Thx for the feedback what about the condition of the shift cable in the video?

Comment

I don't think that the teat in that boot will cause a leak. I think it is there to keep dirt from getting into that joint and causing it to rust and lock up. Looks like you have a tear in the rack and pinion and that may be a contributing factor to the amount of fluid and grime that is all over the place.

Comment

I don't think that the teat in that boot will cause a leak. I think it is there to keep dirt from getting into that joint and causing it to rust and lock up. Looks like you have a tear in the rack and pinion and that may be a contributing factor to the amount of fluid and grime that is all over the place.
                  I was told by Oyaji Cool that the rubber in the rack and pinion is made to keep dust away but if it is leaking than there's a problem in the rack and pinion seals

is it better to remove the rack and pinion unit and change the seals and rubber bushing .. or should I buy a new rack and pinion ?! how much does it cost ?!

Comment

Working...
                  X