Head repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head repair

Hey guys, so on my f22b head, one of the cam cap bolts 10mm ones snapped on me and had to drill it out in the process i lost the threading in the head was wondering if there is a way to repair it. I thought about filling the hole with jb weld and red rolling and threading but wanted to hear any thoughts or other ideas.
    I ran a while with the bolt out but now that I am going to be running more aggressive cams and more psi, would rather have that bolt in. Thanks again
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

sohc or dohc f22b?

sounds like dohc since you said cams was plural. those have dowels right? id still think you can put a helicoil in it and still fit the dowel back in it.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Correct Dohc. The problem i am having is there is no meat to thread the bolt back in and yes they have dowels in them. So that's why I thought about dropping jb weld in to create some kind of meat to helicoil it. Or drill it out more and put a thicker bolt in there just don't want to breech the Cyclinder head. Not sure how much material i am working with.
      Also the cam i am referring to is the intake cam fourth cam cap holder from the cam gear outside bolt.
      Last edited by Grumpys93; 05-28-2013, 03:38 AM.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        Correct Dohc. The problem i am having is there is no meat to thread the bolt back in and yes they have dowels in them. So that's why I thought about dropping jb weld in to create some kind of meat to helicoil it. Or drill it out more and put a thicker bolt in there just don't want to breech the Cyclinder head. Not sure how much material i am working with.
        Also the cam i am referring to is the intake cam fourth cam cap holder from the cam gear outside bolt.
        Either helicoil it or new head.
        No point running the risk of extra damage to new parts.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

i dont think you could put a bigger bolt and fit it inside the dowel. tis why you need to use a helicoil and bring it back to the correct size
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Alright ill try the helicoil. I have an h23 head in the back trying not to use it so i don't have to block some holes. Thanks guys for the help
            ~Nick~

Comment

Working...
            X