Diagnose this starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnose this starting problem

So I have some strange starting problems going on...
    Car wouldn't start the other day, solenoid would click but no starter motor action. It did this before weeks ago until after a few tries it worked. I figured now it died finally, it's 22 years old. So I ordered a new one.
    I DO have battery problems as I leave this car sit and have to charge or jump start the car usually. I think I neglected the battery too much, even though it's only one year old, but listen to the rest...

So I install a new starter and use my jumper pack to try and start and no go. NO clicking, nothing. I jump it with another car and add a direct ground wire from starter to battery, clean up some other grounds, and it turns maybe one revolution and seems to draw all the available power. It turns like a very weak battery would. So I try bypassing the battery in the Accord completely-same result. I take belts off Alt and P/S and they spin freely. Jack up car and engine rotates. Take out the starter and try to make it run from jumper cables and it doesn't spin. So I figured I got a bad remanufactured starter. I didn't test this one before I put it in the car.

Autozone looks at it and it does run on their machine but he says it didn't look good. Another one we test before I leave actually fails their tests. So I get another one from another store which we test before I leave and it seems to work strong. Gear pops out immediately. Go home and install this other one and get the same results, initially...It eventually turns over and runs and we leave it running for 5 minutes. This is without having a battery in my car and I removed the extra ground strap from before. Turn it off and it won't start again and barely turns over. Cranking is very weak and struggles. I never checked my old starter to really see if it was dead.

So to recap...finally got car started, but never with a strong crank. Car ran, but would still have problems starting when trying again. Is getting good power from a jump car, grounds work, nothing is seized in engine or accessory pulleys. How can a starter test fine out of the engine with no load on it and have problems turning a car over, that was just running, getting 14 volts and good grounds?
    The only abnormal thing right now is I'm not starting it with a good battery in MY car. But whatever right, that's why jumping works. I've started the car plenty of times with my dead battery.
    Last edited by uslspct; 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM.
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

So a new battery got it cranking right away. Still don't understand why. Will leave this thread open for someone to explain why this worked.

MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

When you were jumping it was the bad battery still connected?

If yes:
      The battery was acting as a resistor and preventing juice from flowing to the starter ...

If no:
      Your car is possessed and you need an exorcism...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by kapone View Post
        When you were jumping it was the bad battery still connected?

If yes:
        The battery was acting as a resistor and preventing juice from flowing to the starter ...

If no:
        Your car is possessed and you need an exorcism...
        I tried it both ways and got the same result.

MY RIDE

Comment

check for voltage drop from the battery cable and the starter, check your connections too. i had an intermittent no start due to corrosion on the cables even after i put a new optima yellow.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct View Post
            I tried it both ways and got the same result.
            I retract my previous second answer and go with wed3k statement....

Just in case, check your ground and power cables direct,, to and from the battery.

Now if all good ... then go with exorcism....

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Nothing changed from time of problem to fixing of problem except putting in a new battery.

MY RIDE

Comment

When you where jumping your car were you using your battery cable as a ground or something on the car . If you used the cable some of the time and the car others you may still need a new battery ground wire. Installing a new battery could have helped the connection or wiggled out the break in the ground.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                X