Sticky Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Valves

Background: Installed a 1990 F22A1 in my 1992 Coupe EX with the A6 cam. I bought the engine from a guy who's had it sitting in his shop for a year, and the inside is dark brown, looks like whoever drove the car missed a few oil changes.

Now, it turned over nice and easy without the spark plugs in it. I changed out the cam and set the timing dead on, then installed new plugs. Now I have several exhaust valves that go down and get stuck on the return. My research shows its likely the guides are jammed/gummed up, not surprising considering the oil staining and carbon buildup that was present.

I'm thinking I can install new valve seals, oil up the guides, and be good as long as there are no bent valves. Thoughts?
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

i would dump a can of sea foam over the valves. let it sit for an hour. crank it over with no plugs and change the oil.
    visit vgruk

Comment

If you can afford the time and $$, remove the head and clean the valves and guides. I would use acetone and swabs cleaning the bore of guides.

Based on my experience, sea form doesn't do squat on application like that. See below,,,

Sea form was applied and left for one hour and carbon is still hard on the cylinder head.
      Last edited by oyajicool; 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM. Reason: misspelling
      A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
        I you can afford the time and $$, remove the head and clean the valves and guides. I would use acetone and swabs cleaning the bore of guides.

Based on my experience, sea form doesn't do squat. See below,,,

Sea form was applied and left for one hour and carbon is still hard on the cylinder head.
        acetone? really? i will have to try that sometime. i guess it would make sense since acetone eats everything else this is good to know
        visit vgruk

Comment

Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention I've been dumping Dexron III ATF on top of the valves for the past 2-3 weeks. Managed to free up a couple of the valves this way.

I'd like to avoid taking the head off due to time/budget constraints. I'd like to make some money off this car and get it gone sooner.

Comment

just fire it up and get a good BG oil and fuel injection cleaning done. the resistance in the valves will decrease greatly when it begins to heat up and once oil circulates it should naturally become less prone to sticking.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
            member ride thread
            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Thats what my dad keeps telling me but I'm concerned that the first crank up will bend the sticky valves.

My local Honda dealer has the seals in stock, I'll just pick them up and install them.

Comment

Valve strike occurs when engine is cold, most likely upon the first start in a morning. All you need is one strike to ruin your day.
                Last edited by oyajicool; 05-03-2013, 11:05 AM.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Valve strike occurs when engine is cold, most likely upon the first start in a morning. All you need is one strike to ruin your day.
                  Valve strike can occur any time a valve sticks or when timing is out of whack. not just in the morning.

I am willing to bet that valve seals will do nothing for this problem. The problem is more likely coked oil in the valve stem bore itself.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                  member ride thread
                  11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                  DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                  People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                  I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                  John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

I made this post knowing that more than likely his engine is suffering from coking.

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                    The problem is more likely coked oil in the valve stem bore itself.
                    With this coking problem that you speak of, his valves are sticking already as the engine sits stone cold.
                    With coking problem, valves are the tightest to move when cold. You are saying exactly the same thing in different words as indicated below.

the resistance in the valves will decrease greatly when it begins to heat up and once oil circulates it should naturally become less prone to sticking.
                    Yet, you are suggesting to fire up this engine. I say it is irresponsible on your part. You suspect that his engine is suffering from coking, yet you argue in the manner that you do. It is beyond me,,,,,,,.

I am not saying to replace valve stem seals. It came from the OP himself in the first place. But, it is recommended, and I consider mandatory to replace those seals if he is going to remove valves to remove coking from valve stems and valve guides.
                    Last edited by oyajicool; 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

So you are saying my quick fix to replace the valve stem seals will not solve the problem? Well thats not the answer I was hoping for, but I'll get to it.

Comment

Stem seals are not the cause of sticky valves.

I could give you the answer you want but the end result is not likely what you are looking for.

It is your engine, do what you wish.
                        Last edited by oyajicool; 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

Your problem isn't in the seals, its build up in the guides. I think anyways. The "coking" is burnt oil that is deposited and is stopping the valve stem from gliding freely. This symptom is at its worst when the engine is cold.
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Isn't that what I've been telling?
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Isn't that what I've been telling?
                              Yeah, I should've just x2'd your post I suppose.
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                              X