heater hose busted, major misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heater hose busted, major misfire

Had my heater hose replaced at a local shop after spewing coolant all over the engine bay. The car has a severe misfire now, it has for the past hour since I've had it back. Could it be due to the coolant spraying everywhere, and will it clear up eventually? I was scared it damaged the distributor or coil

Open the distribitor cap and make sure there is no fluid in it. Take out the spark plug wires to make sure there isnt a pool of fluid in them.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Andrew22888 had the same thing happen this winter. When we put the new hose on and started it it did the same thing your describing. It didn't have a dizzy cap gasket/seal and it got coolant in the dizzy. I too would suggest removing the cap and cleaning any coolant and the same with the spark plug wells and boots. It can still get fluids in it with a seal installed and it doesn't take much fluid in there to make it do that.

Comment

Thanks, you guys. I'll have a look at it in the morning and see if any coolant got caught up in the distributor. I already checked all the plug wires, seemed fine to me. When the rpms are above 4k I can punch it with no misfire, but anything below that and I have to feather the pedal to avoid sputtering all the way down the highway, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Nezdude87 View Post
          Thanks, you guys. I'll have a look at it in the morning and see if any coolant got caught up in the distributor. I already checked all the plug wires, seemed fine to me. When the rpms are above 4k I can punch it with no misfire, but anything below that and I have to feather the pedal to avoid sputtering all the way down the highway, lol.
          That's exactly what Andrews would do. It would run right above the same RPM as well.

Comment

Took it apart and found coolant inside haha. Drying it out now. Thanks again

Comment

Good deal. I knew that's what it was when you stated it would clean up and run right above 4k.

Comment

Took it apart and found coolant inside haha. Drying it out now. Thanks again
                the is awesome the H311RA151N was able to solve it for you. i would replace the seal while i had it apart so rain water and other stuff wont get in it. or if you get a wild hair up your ass to pressure wash the engine bay like i did and wonder why it wont start
                visit vgruk

Comment

"Cool" Andrew did that also. The day after he got his 1st CB. He thought it was something really bad until I came over and knew what it was. Idk what it is with Andrews and water in the dizzy cap but its becoming an epidemic.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    "Cool" Andrew did that also. The day after he got his 1st CB. He thought it was something really bad until I came over and knew what it was. Idk what it is with Andrews and water in the dizzy cap but its becoming an epidemic.
                    "cool" andrew
                    visit vgruk

Comment

I dried it out this morning after posting and it still had a misfire, but would then clean up around 2800k. After driving it up til now, it clears up around 1800k. Pretty sure I'm gonna be alright haha. The mechanic said to bring back if it kept acting up after driving it this weekend. I'm not too worried about it though. Oh yeah, I'm missing the third screw and there's no seal on the cap. No wonder it got soaked. Gonna grab that screw from a junkyard asap.

Comment

A misfire still does its damage. Coils can go bad, as well as ignitors. Get it fixed asap.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I dried it out this morning after posting and it still had a misfire, but would then clean up around 2800k. After driving it up til now, it clears up around 1800k. Pretty sure I'm gonna be alright haha. The mechanic said to bring back if it kept acting up after driving it this weekend. I'm not too worried about it though. Oh yeah, I'm missing the third screw and there's no seal on the cap. No wonder it got soaked. Gonna grab that screw from a junkyard asap.
                          Sounds like something's still a little wet. Hopefully that's whats wrong and it dries out. It does keep running better and better so with any luck that's a sign that its just water somewhere and it's slowly drying out.

Did you use a heat source to dry it out? Like a heat gun or hair drier? If not I would try that.

I blow them out with an air compressor then take a hair drier to the inside of the dizzy for about 10 mins. Works like a charm.
                          Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-27-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

It's all good now. I used a hair dryer on the cap, but didn't have a long enough cable to reach outside to the distributor. Running perfect after a full day of driving .

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X