Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with the new STAR smog check in CA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with the new STAR smog check in CA?

So I got my car registration renewal notice today. It says I need to take it to a STAR test station. I know it's much more stringent but what are the differences?
    What's the best way to prepare to make sure your car pass it? My CB and Corolla have always pass without cheating and preparation. Since it's much stricter, how would a car that always pass before fail this time with the STAR station?

Thanks.

Its just like any other smog check, just tighter regulations and the STAR smog stations are monitored by BAR. There are three reasons that you have to go to a STAR smog check place: 1) your car previously failed a smog check miserably, 2) cb7s might be gross polluters (not sure) or 3) picked at random as a sample of registered cars in California.

GL

Comment

So my car is either reason 2 or 3. Definitely not reason 1.
      When you say tighter regulations, what are the tighter regulations involved?
      Thanks.

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
      Its just like any other smog check, just tighter regulations and the STAR smog stations are monitored by BAR. There are three reasons that you have to go to a STAR smog check place: 1) your car previously failed a smog check miserably, 2) cb7s might be gross polluters (not sure) or 3) picked at random as a sample of registered cars in California.

GL

Comment

how could you get it to pass? well if you have always gotten it to pass with out cheating and prep then i think its time to start!
        visit vgruk

Comment

depending on the car, the standards are lower but ive compared a lot of cars from two years ago and it hasn't changed. A lot of cb7's been failing though, but mainly due to high nox or failing cats.

people get mad but i dont give a fuck. not my car, not my problem.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
            depending on the car, the standards are lower but ive compared a lot of cars from two years ago and it hasn't changed. A lot of cb7's been failing though, but mainly due to high nox or failing cats.

I take it from that comment u work at a smog station? I agree with you. Fix ur shit or don't drive it
            visit vgruk

Comment

Could you tell me what do mean by lower standards? You mean lower values to pass? As far as what has not changed? Passing vs. not passing?
              Thanks.

Comment

its the same test but they raised the values so older cars don't pass. CA wants all older cars off the road and i don't blame them. a lot of cars run like shit or have worn out cats. i even saw a higher mileage e46 m3 fail with no check engine light on or nothing. it just has worn out cats and the nox is high.

cb7:
                visual inspection
                Check the CEL for operation
                emissions test (TSI or dyno depending on the county)
                evap system test
                fuel cap test
                check ignition timing
                smoke test

Soon 2000 and later will get: (later on this year)
                visual inspection
                obd readiness and CEL functional test
                smoke test
                I <3 G60.

Comment

So if my car is well maintained, and always pass smog in the past, it shouldn't have any trouble passing the smog test right? I have new plugs, cables, and timing is to specs at 15 degrees advance from TDC. When you say older cars, do you mean older, not well maintained cars, or cars that runs like new but produced during earlier years? What to test, when it comes to the gas cap? I think my car barely pass last time b/c I just drove it cold from home to the smog center which is only less than 10 minutes away and the cat was not hot enough yet.
                  Thanks.

its the same test but they raised the values so older cars don't pass. CA wants all older cars off the road and i don't blame them. a lot of cars run like shit or have worn out cats. i even saw a higher mileage e46 m3 fail with no check engine light on or nothing. it just has worn out cats and the nox is high.

cb7:
                  visual inspection
                  Check the CEL for operation
                  emissions test (TSI or dyno depending on the county)
                  evap system test
                  fuel cap test
                  check ignition timing
                  smoke test

Soon 2000 and later will get: (later on this year)
                  visual inspection
                  obd readiness and CEL functional test
                  smoke test
                  Last edited by Bad_dude; 04-16-2013, 02:46 AM.

Comment

So below is my report 2 years ago, what value did they lower to prevent you from passing? What are the differences from previous methods vs the STAR system?
                    Thanks.

May 13, 2013. The car passed easily.

Last edited by Bad_dude; 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

well, i guess in this case i think they lowered the hc's. looks like youre due for a cat. if there's a wait, id sit there and hold the rpms at 2k. thats how i precondition cars which im not supposed to. BAR states that we're only allowed to idle it for 3 minutes and test it as-is.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

Since the last test, I have replace the o2 Sensor with a Denso. New wires and plugs, but the old ones are still good. Cap and rotor are relatively new and OEM parts.

Comment

So what are the newer values for the CB in CA to pass?
                          Thanks.

Comment

So I found the smog check back in 2007 when I got the car and it passed with flying colors. I don't get it, I did lots of maintenance and it got much worse than before I even did all of the cleaning up. What the heck guys?

-New plugs, NGK or Denso.
                            -New Denso wires.
                            -Clean EGR ports and EGR valves.
                            -Fram Air Hog air filter.
                            -Replaced some hoses.
                            -Cap and rotor.
                            -Valve adjustments.
                            -Fixed the distributor O-ring leak.
                            -Replaced valve cover.
                            -New battery.
                            -Replace alternator with new brush kit.
                            -New tires.
                            -Seafoam.
                            -Switched to synthetic oil.
                            -New Denso O2 sensor.
                            -Alarm.
                            -Fuel filter, twice replaced but with the O'reilly, not OEM.
                            -Timing is on both base and ignition.
                            -Idle dead on at 750rpm.
                            -New Honda Tranny fluid.
                            -New Honda Power steering fluid.
                            -After market Autozone PCV valve.
                            And a few more things I can't remember.

So which one of these items above that might have caused the HC and Nox to go up so much higher? Air filter or fuel filter, or synthetic oil? Valve adjustments? After market PCV valve?

The only thing that are difference between the test in 2007 vs. the ones in 2009 and 2011 are the stations and the after market PCV valve and Air hog air filter. The station used in 2007 is further. So I was thinking maybe the cat was not hot enough with the nearer station used in 2009 and 2011.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bad_dude; 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Or the catalytic converter is just having more stuff build up on it. The older they are, the worse they work. I'd say replace the cat if you are worried about passing smog (it might be partially clogged anyways, if you haven't changed it).

Comment

Working...
                              X