Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA SMOG Check passed 2 years ago, but what do the numbers means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA SMOG Check passed 2 years ago, but what do the numbers means?

Hello guys,
    Here's my result, though the car pass but HC is just in the Max level to pass. Tested April 27, 2011. I will need to retest this year some time in April 2013
    The car is 1990 Accord LX 4AT all stock.

________________%CO2___%O2___HC (PPM)____________CO(%)
    Test:____ RPM____Meas____Meas___Max___AVE___Meas___Max___Ave ___Meas
    15 mph__1809____15.0_____0.1____83_____29___83_____0. 75___0.18___0.37
    25mph___1924____15.2_____0.0____65_____23___40____ _0.63___0.13___0.22

NO (PPM)
    Max___Ave___Meas
    559___298___556
    516___234____81

I am worry about the HC(PPM) with the max and measure being the same at 83.
    Also worry about the 15RPM, measured at 556 vs. Max at 559.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bad_dude; 03-17-2013, 09:17 PM.

I'm not an expert on emissions, but from what I have learned being in CA myself is that generally a high HC is caused by running too rich and/or poor ignition not burning all the fuel. I would suggest prior to getting it tested in April do a quick recheck of your timing and spark plugs to make sure none of that is off. Secondly how old is your O2 sensor? I know they are not always the cheapest things but they are fairly easy to change. Poor 02 performance could also be your culprit.

Comment

Common main culprits.

- Oxygen Sensor
      - Catalytic Converter

High HC is running rich
      High NOx is high cylinder temps , could also point to running lean.

Basically you need a full tune-up. Otherwise , I would lean on those 2 items mentioned.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Since the test, I have replace the O2 sensor with a Denso I bought from RockAuto. My wires are new Denso and spark plugs are new Platinum TT. My cap and rotor is on less than 6000 miles, do you guys think I need to replace those? Honda charge too much for them. I think my CAT is ok b/c the car drives fine and take off quick. No bogging issue and no rotten egg smell. I also readjusted the valve lash to specs and before it was a little tighter but within specs. My last synthetic oil change is less than a 1000 miles and I might change it before testing. Timing is dead on since I bought it in 2008 at 15 degrees advance from TDC, the red mark.

Given all that, my old NGK platinum plugs had less than 5000 miles on them. The OEM cap and rotor has about the same miles. Fuel filter replace twice since I bought the car.

Comment

cat is worn out. if the nox and the hc is both high with CO at zero then it would be running lean. a cat doesn't have to be plugged in order for it to be bad. it just doesn't do the chemical process quick enough or as efficiently.

a 97 bmw 528i with 230k failed and she had it pre-tested some where else and they just preconditioned the cat. we did the same and it passed but ultimately she'll need new cats because we aren't responsible for preconditioning. it sucks but it is what the BAR tells us. only allowed to idle it for 3 minutes.

so please do us a favor and precondition the car yourself.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Precondition means to run the cat real hot before smog? What's the best way to preconditioned the car? Mine is an auto.
            Thanks.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
            cat is worn out. if the nox and the hc is both high with CO at zero then it would be running lean. a cat doesn't have to be plugged in order for it to be bad. it just doesn't do the chemical process quick enough or as efficiently.

a 97 bmw 528i with 230k failed and she had it pre-tested some where else and they just preconditioned the cat. we did the same and it passed but ultimately she'll need new cats because we aren't responsible for preconditioning. it sucks but it is what the BAR tells us. only allowed to idle it for 3 minutes.

so please do us a favor and precondition the car yourself.

Comment

One more question and it's a little off my CB7. I have a 1999 Corolla VE. I have the pics of the 2 consecutive Smog test 2010 and 2012. I have not done any thing different other than maintaining fluids and sparks plugs. All basics. The only different between the 2 tests are 2 different test stations. It seems the first one the car barely passed. It's also the same station that my CB7 barely passed also. But the 2nd station, the car passed easily. Between the 2 test periods, the CEL came on twice P0420. Each time I reset the computer and it has been off for almost a year now and it passed smog in recent November. Here are the test results.

Comment

sounds like a cat...especially if p0420 already came on. i like to precondition the car for 2-3 minutes at 2k-2.5k rpms.

do you warm the car up at all in the morning? all my cars get warmed up till the needle begins to move and then i baby it till i reach operating temperature.
                I <3 G60.

Comment

That code is for the Corolla but the code has not been back since the last time. The car has 167K miles on it now. Should I replace the O2 sensor position one on it? I know my wife almost never warm up the car.
                  For my CB7, I used to warm it up but the cost of gas lately, I haven't and my mpg increase about 2mpg. Should I warm it up before driving? I don't mind using more gas if it's better for my old CAT.
                  So what is your suggestion for my CB7 to pass easily in April? I am going to go to the other test center now.

Thanks.

sounds like a cat...especially if p0420 already came on. i like to precondition the car for 2-3 minutes at 2k-2.5k rpms.

do you warm the car up at all in the morning? all my cars get warmed up till the needle begins to move and then i baby it till i reach operating temperature.

Comment

no, it's to preserve the cat to prevent the p0420. when it reaches operating temp, it runs the monitor for the catalyst and if it isn't running efficient then it will set a 420.

motor warms up quicker when there's a load on it but the cat doesn't warm up as fast as opposed to having it idle.

the cb7 doesn't matter, it isnt obd2 and changing the rear o2 sensor isn't going to change a thing. if you want, put a rear spacer in it but those readings suck balls.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Oh no, I mean the front O2 sensor for the Corolla since it hasn't been change before to help the car runs cleaner.

no, it's to preserve the cat to prevent the p0420. when it reaches operating temp, it runs the monitor for the catalyst and if it isn't running efficient then it will set a 420.

motor warms up quicker when there's a load on it but the cat doesn't warm up as fast as opposed to having it idle.

the cb7 doesn't matter, it isnt obd2 and changing the rear o2 sensor isn't going to change a thing. if you want, put a rear spacer in it but those readings suck balls.

Comment

nah...not until the CEL comes on for it.
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

So what else do you suggest to increase my chance of passing my CB this April?
                          Thanks.

nah...not until the CEL comes on for it.

Comment

just keep it maintained, there's nothing else you can do.
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

Son's 91 coupe failed the test a few weeks ago. Like a fool he had a mechanic do work on it and it cost more than the car! But it passed. What was wrong was almost the exact as yours. They did a cleaning of the ERG ports and changed ERG. (Diy can be found here) Replaced the Cat. Replaced the O2 (another thing I could have done for him) Well he is now proud owner (for another year at least) of a extremely expensive 2014 sticker.
                              We bought this coupe almost 5 years ago from a co-worker of mine and we have poured more money into it than a brand new car. I love Hondas as you all know...but this coupe is like a hungry dog! Even maintained as you all suggest, the smog checks can deflate any notion that you have that you're driving a jewel.
                              For cleaner air..it's worth the hassle.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                              New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                              My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Working...
                              X