Oxygen sensor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxygen sensor question

Are all sensors the same size? I don't mean wire wise but like the sensor it's self that connects to the header, cause I have a Bosch one and after i replaced my header it's close to my fan blades and its hitting it. Also feels like its about to stall , idk if black tape will help and/or for how long.
    Any info would be appreciated, thanks

dont run a bosh sensor. anyone on here will tell you that

also bend the wires hard over to keep it from hitting the blades
    visit vgruk

Comment

Yea I know that, just not in time before I bought it :/
      Thanks ima try to that n dip tie it or something but it cut pretty bad, getting a denso 1 ASAP

Comment

denso is great. can't go wrong with denso
        visit vgruk

Comment

Yea I also saw people suggested buying a slim fan, but I wonder if it will mount and connect properly on the oem radiator

Comment

Originally posted by spade View Post
            Are all sensors the same size? I don't mean wire wise but like the sensor it's self that connects to the header, cause I have a Bosch one and after i replaced my header it's close to my fan blades and its hitting it. Also feels like its about to stall , idk if black tape will help and/or for how long.
            Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Do you have a CEL? If not I wouldnt really think the idle would be caused by the O2 sensor if it doesnt have a CEL (code 43 IIRC) saying its an O2 sensor problem. If it works leave it of course but know that it might not run right and you MPG could be effected by it because its not right. But I would assume the ECU would catch it. But it might come on in a day or two.

Do you have an aftermarket header or the stock F22A1 exhaust manifold? The reason I ask is because I have a Megan stainless 4-2-1 header and the O2 sensor is close to the fan blades but I bent the wires over pretty hard to make them stay and it clears the fan just fine. I have put 5-6k on the car and it’s been 6-7 months and I’ve had not problems from it.

If you have an aftermarket header and it simply won’t clear the fan you can run the sensor wires like the F22A4 and F22A6 are under the car near the flex pipe. Basically you just extend the wires, put the harness on the end of your extended wires then use the other O2 sensor bung that all aftermarket headers have.

Also if your needing just a little more room you could look into modifying (more than likely bending) the upper radiator brackets. You could drill two new holes in each bracket to move the radiator forward maybe 1/4-1/2 an inch. Like I said, if you just need or want a little more room. Slanting the radiator slightly won’t hurt anything.

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
            denso is great. can't go wrong with denso
            I use NGK/NTK for O2 sensors. But like you said anything but a Bosch will work.
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 02-16-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spade View Post
              Yea I also saw people suggested buying a slim fan, but I wonder if it will mount and connect properly on the oem radiator
              Yeah they are just plastic straps that go through the raditor. Im almost positve they will work on an OEM radiator.

A cheap ebay slim fan I wouldnt trust. And one that I would trust like Mishimoto is kind of expensive when there are easy and free/cheap ways to fix it.

Ive seen the factory radiator and fans used in 400+hp CB7s. It has plenty of cooling capacity just for the record. You wont ever need an upgraded fan not that I assume that matters here. Just throwing that out.

Comment

I don't have a cel, but when i was idling for a much longer time then waiting for a light to turn green my fan turned on and it sounded weird, then my motor bogged and felt like it would want to stall out for a couple seconds and then stop once the fan stopped. the header is aftermarket but dont know what brand they tried to copy from because the previous header I had was "Megan" and didnt have a problem with the clearance of the blades and oxygen sensor. I'm thinking of just buying a denso one and zip tieing it, but won't the zip tie melt and just snap? I was also thinking about moving the radiator a little.

Comment

That sounds like the fan could have been hitting the wires, it was bogging the fan down not letting it spin fast enough putting a higher electrical load on the charging system thus making it idle lower. When the fan(s) are bogged they take a lot more electricity making the engine bog or idle lower as well.

Some CBs (one of mine does this) when the fans kick on it brings the idle down because of the electrical load. You may have not noticed it until now.

Was the sound like a tick tick tick sound? Like the fan blades hitting the wires? Check the wires and see. Even though they are coated really well you should still be able to tell.

If you don’t have a CEL leave the O2 sensor for now. See what you can do with a zip tie. You can be kind of harsh with the wires as they are tough.

Also you might go to the parts store and compare one O2 sensor brand to another. One might be slightly shorter or longer than the other.

If you feel you should get better MPG or the CEL does end up coming on and the O2 sensor is the culprit, go ahead and get a proper O2 sensor.
                  Last edited by H311RA151N; 02-16-2013, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Yea you're right, the bogging might of been the fan trying to hard to spin, but then when I got home I saw it was cutting through the wire and I can see the inside. I'm just scared cause where it cut is right at the point when it enters the sensor. But I was able to kinda of tie it back a little with a wire but now I'm a try to get a zip tie to be sure.
                    I'm a stop by an advance auto parts later to compare denso with bosch to check out the lengths.
                    Thanks for the help

Comment

Grab a Denso sensor, regardless. It's only $30 or so from Rockauto these days. Even if you managed to fix the clearance issues, the Bosch sensor likely will not work properly anyway!

You could also go to any exhaust shop and have them weld up the old bung, and weld a new one in a different location. I paid some drunk Russian in Philly to do it for me a few years back ($30 for that as well... I think I overpaid.)

Comment

Now my cel came on :/ , yea I'm a just buy a denso one but idk if I can do what you said deev, this header is crap and will probably fail lol

Comment

might be time to grab a new header, then!

I'm glad to see you're still around. Hadn't seen you much since Sandy hit, and I was hoping you and your car made it through alright!

Comment

Yea I've been through like 4 eBay/Megan headers and like 3 different types of gasket for the header meets the down pipe. I was thinking a bisi moto header but my car is auto and its kind of expensive.

We did ok, my car just got smacked by alot of branches and someone's mailbox lol

Comment

Eh, that's not too bad! I heard a lot of your town got pretty flooded! I avoided the area for a week or so just to steer clear of it.

For an auto, Bisimoto is probably a waste. Especially if you have to deal with city streets and stuff. Plus, there are plenty of complaints about those leaking as well! Though Bisi has been made aware of all the leaky headers, so I'd assume now would be the best time to get one that doesn't leak, as he'd be sure not to send out any that are going to leak!

Try looking for DC Sports. Pricier than Megan for sure, but DC Sports quality has pretty much always been top notch. Won't gain anything power-wise over the Megan, but fitment will be better.

Comment

Working...
                              X