Star Key Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Key Number

Anyone know the size of key to remove the airbag on the steering wheel?

It's called a Torx and it's a T30.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yep T30 torx

Comment

Torx is actually a brand name. Star is the accepted generic tern, actually.
        The official ISO term is "hexalobular internal".

Comment

The way I understood it was that the design was trademarked, and people who produced it had to label it as Torx. Therefore any brand could produce Torx. This is evident by the fact that if you look up and Torx bits on Craftsman, Kobalt, Snap-On or even Harbor Freight's pages they are all called Torx.

A labored point, really, as I wasn't meaning to correct the OP but jsut to clarify. Rereading what I wrote does seem like I'm correcting.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I was just nitpicking myself, since you already effectively answered the question.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a T30 security bit? Like the one with the hollow center to account for the pin on the bolt?

Comment

There's hexalobular internal, and then there's security hexalobular internal.

Torx and security Torx, the latter having a pin in the middle to prevent a regular 6lobe driver's use.

Comment

Sears has the T30 built into a plastic handle for about 5 bucks. I think that's the only Torx on our entire car. Thank god. Not like the Euro cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi)

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a T30 security bit? Like the one with the hollow center to account for the pin on the bolt?
                    No its not, just a regular t30

Comment

Working...
                    X