Tranny Grinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Grinds

ok i recently changed my tranny fluid (pennzoil syncromesh) about mth ago and my tranny still kinda grinds when shifting to 2nd.... wht does this mean, synchros?

Yeah or drain all that penzoil crap out and put Honda MTF in it and see what that does.

IIRC Ive heard of people running GM syncromesh and liking it real well. But IMO you will get the best results with Honda MTF.

Some people have had good results with the friction modified GM syncromesh. A few people have had a gear or two that liked to grind and ran the GM syncromesh and it helped alot.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=144343

As far as Penzoil, I wouldnt pour that or Quaker State on a turd. But thats just me.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-19-2013, 02:58 AM.

Comment

x2 honda MTF
      Budget Street is offline working in the shop

drop the mouse and pick up a wrench

Originally posted by deevergote
      Good for you. You don't even know how to spell VTEC.

Comment

For the record, Pennzoil is paraffin based so it gets waxy with age and is prone to sludge. But its fine if changed frequently. I know this discussion is about trans fluid but if they don’t make good oil I question all their products. That’s why don’t run any of them.

Comment

Supposedly, the Pennzoil Synchromesh is the same as GM Synchromesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookdarealest View Post
            ok i recently changed my tranny fluid (pennzoil syncromesh) about mth ago and my tranny still kinda grinds when shifting to 2nd.... wht does this mean, synchros?
            That means you STILL have a possibly bad transmission.

If you can match gears and you don't need synchros to assist you changing gears. There was a shop in Japan experimented on it by grinding or removing all of synchros from gear box of a Toyota. A son of the shop owner drove the car and learnt how to drive with out grinding gears. The article was on a magazine I read in the late '70s.
            Last edited by oyajicool; 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM.
            A&P-IA

Comment

It only grind when i'm hard shifting, if I granny shift or even shift normally its ok...

Comment

You realize "granny shifting" is a term made up for the Fast and the Furious movie, right?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  You realize "granny shifting" is a term made up for the Fast and the Furious movie, right?
                  Yeah I know but most people understood what I what taking about.
                  And where can I get gonna atf besides the dealer?

Comment

What people understand is that when you shift correctly, it doesn't grind. When you abuse it, it grinds. Worn 20 year old transmissions will do that.

Why do you want ATF for a manual transmission?
                    You can buy Honda fluids from Honda, or order online (from Honda.) I don't believe anyone else is authorized to sell it. That's kinda like asking where you can buy a Big Mac besides McDonald's.

Comment

Sorry I meant mtf

Comment

Supposedly, the Pennzoil Synchromesh is the same as GM Synchromesh.
                        I haven’t heard that before. But I still would opt for a different brand. But my opinion doesn’t really matter on this. It’s just preference.

In VOTEC we took an old 305 apart that had only had Pennzoil in it. Our shop teacher made mention of that before we ever tore it down. I didn’t think an engine could have that much build up and still run without seizing up due to it not oiling properly (oil starvation).

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                        That means you STILL have a possibly bad transmission.

If you can match gears and you don't need synchros to assist you changing gears. There was a shop in Japan experimented on it by grinding or removing all of synchros from gear box of a Toyota. A son of the shop owner drove the car and learnt how to drive with out grinding gears. The article was on a magazine I read in the late '70s.
                        It is an old transmission anyways. If he finds a fluid that will help it not grind then I would leave it.

I built 2 H2U5s when I worked for ACE as a trans tech. Both were for a CRX with a hybrid vtec head F block set up on boost. He was pushing 400hp or somewhere there about and running HUGE slicks and a welded diff. Still the trans would last 75-100 runs and he would drive it to work every day. The 5 speed CB transmissions are nearly bullet proof IMO. The syncros are the weak point though. Even though they mostly go out because people abuse them.

What people understand is that when you shift correctly, it doesn't grind. When you abuse it, it grinds. Worn 20 year old transmissions will do that.

Why do you want ATF for a manual transmission?
                        You can buy Honda fluids from Honda, or order online (from Honda.) I don't believe anyone else is authorized to sell it. That's kinda like asking where you can buy a Big Mac besides McDonald's.
                        Exactly. I can’t bang gears in my 93 LX without hard grinds in every gear. It’s got an old transmission with 365k on it and it’s never been rebuilt. Yet when I swap in the H23A I won’t even rebuild it I’ll just throw it back in. There isn’t a point to it because I drive the car normal 95% of the time. Even when I do get on it I just shift firm and not super-fast and it doesn’t grind. I couldn’t do that with out grinding before I put new Honda MTF in it though. The MTF made a big difference.
                        Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-19-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Pennzoil's transmission oil may be very different from their engine oil, though.
                          Again, I've only heard on this forum that it's the same thing. Perhaps that's just because it says "synchromesh". Personally, I stick to the GM fluid, because it's always worked very well for me! GM dealerships aren't exactly difficult to find in the US, so I see no point in using anything else!

Comment

IIRC I said that earlier in the thread. That their trans fluid could be totally different than their oil. But (again IMO) I don’t trust their products because there is a huge selection of brands to choose from and most have a good overall reputation for their products. And if Pennzoil don’t make good oil I don’t want to take a chance on any of their fluids.

I run Castrol GTX.

Even more off topic, I would like to try Rotella. I love shell gasoline and notice a 15 miles to the tank gain when using their fuel. I know Rotella is superior in diesels.
                            Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Ah yes, you did say that. Skimming pwns me.

I use Rotella in all my cars. Mainly because there's a 10 minute oil change place at a Shell station My Fit has had nothing but since I bought it, and it's at nearly 280,000 miles without an issue.
                              When I went to get the oil done in the CTS-V, the kid said "It specifies Mobil 1. We have that, if you want." I told him to use the Rotella. Didn't even hesitate.

I remember a while back, Bisi competed in an engine building contest for Castrol. He did the contest, used their products for that, but said openly that he'd never use their products for his own vehicles. Of course, I believe he either has a deal with Torco (or did at the time), or is just thoroughly loyal to that brand... because that's all I've known him to use.

Honestly, in most cases, oil is oil. Chances are slim that any quality brand is going to cause issues as long as you use it within its intended specifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X