Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping distributor housing?

Hi folks!

The threading on my distributor housing for that hold the cap on are all messed up; one of the previous owners broke the bolts off in the housing and did a piss poor job of drilling them back out. So, I picked up from the junk yard a gutted distributor housing (it's cheaper that way). The housing is completely gutted with the exception of the internal seal and what appears to be a collar behind the seal.

Anyway, I was planning on switching over the internals from my old dizzy to my new one, and I saw this on in the FSM:

It says, with regard to the TDC/CYL/CRANK ANGLE SENSORS, "Do not disassemble." Now, does this mean that one shouldn't mess with the individual components on the module holding the sensors, or to not even remove the sensors from the housing?

Are these sensors "precision aligned" from the factory, or will I be safe with simply taking care when swapping the guts of my old distributor to the new housing?

Finally, as I don't have a timing light, if I simply transfer the alignment mark from the old distributor housing to the new one, I'm not very likely to screw up the ignition timing much, am I?
    Last edited by reklipz; 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM.

I'm just going to take the plunge and swap the components. I need to replace the shaft seal in the housing as well, and that requires removing the sensors. I know folks have changed this seal, and I haven't read about any issues from doing so. The sensor module has an alignment dowel, as well as the two screws. I think I'll be fine. Thanks for sticking with me folks; I'm going to leave this thread up for future reference. Feel free to delete it.

Comment

id highly recommend retiming it.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        id highly recommend retiming it.
        I'm going to have to find someone with a timing light. Maybe I'll just take it to some shop around here and see if they'll let me do it for free. I transferred the mark from the old housing and it seems to be running well enough. The inner seal is leaking a whole bunch, so I won't be taking it out until I get a new one (in the mail at the moment).

Comment

By the looks of the photo of the seal, it's not surprising that it leaked if it wasn't changed.

Good to know the work of swapping internals can be done in house.
          Last edited by oyajicool; 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM.
          A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
          X