F22A1 Being sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A1 Being sluggish

I recently replaced my spark plugs and valve cover gasket on my coupe, there was a slight smoke issue and has gone away at idle and easy driving. I have noticed when I try to accel hard it feels a bit on the sluggish side until about 4000 RPM and she goes (but I get nasty smoke at that RPM). I am trying to think of what could be the issue here? Head gasket going soon? Coolant leak? I am not sure. The exhaust doesn't smell like coolant either. I am trying to figure out what could be the issue here. Thanks in advance.

Happy
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

What color is the smoke? You seem to be focusing on coolant as a possibility.. but that's only if it's white smoke, and it'll smell sweet. Usually, smoke at higher RPM is excess fuel (black smoke). If you're running rich, or your ignition timing is off (causing an incomplete burn), you'd notice a bit of sluggishness. Have you replaced your distributor cap and rotor recently? Have you properly set your ignition timing? Did you check to make sure the plugs were gapped correctly (even quality brand pre-gapped plugs aren't always right... I always check.)
    Do all that stuff. If you can find someone with a timing light to help you, it'll cost all of $15, if that.

Is your CEL on? Does it ever come on?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      What color is the smoke? You seem to be focusing on coolant as a possibility.. but that's only if it's white smoke, and it'll smell sweet. Usually, smoke at higher RPM is excess fuel (black smoke). If you're running rich, or your ignition timing is off (causing an incomplete burn), you'd notice a bit of sluggishness. Have you replaced your distributor cap and rotor recently? Have you properly set your ignition timing? Did you check to make sure the plugs were gapped correctly (even quality brand pre-gapped plugs aren't always right... I always check.)
      Do all that stuff. If you can find someone with a timing light to help you, it'll cost all of $15, if that.

Is your CEL on? Does it ever come on?
      No CEL at all, I should check the gap on the plugs though. And the smoke is white. The old plugs I pulled were showing a lean type burn. And I need to check the dizzy as well. I didn't even think of that, I am getting back in to the swing of playing with cars again!
      The CB7 Collector.
      92 LX Coupe F22A1
      2013 Toyota Corolla S
      92 EX Sedan F22A1
      Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

You've got plenty to play with!

Comment

So it is possible that she is lean then? I will get back with ya on that!!!!
          The CB7 Collector.
          92 LX Coupe F22A1
          2013 Toyota Corolla S
          92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

possible yes. check fuel flow. check for clogged lines. clogged filters. clogged injectors. LEAN IS BAD!
            GATORS GONNA GATE - - im also here: www.x-h20.com

Comment

True. Are all of the old plugs showing a lean burn, or just some? Are they chalky/crumbly white, or are they speckled with black spots? Are the new plugs showing any signs?

Comment

I'd say lean burn does not cause white smoke.

I'd say, if lean condition is created by clogged line, clogged filter or clogged something, the engine will have harder time running as the RPM goes up associated with popping sound coming from tail pipe.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post

I'd say, if lean condition is created by clogged line, clogged filter or clogged something, the engine will have harder time running as the RPM goes up associated with popping sound coming from tail pipe.
                  Any way to clean that up? Any fuel additives? And for the white smoke what could that be? Oil burning?
                  The CB7 Collector.
                  92 LX Coupe F22A1
                  2013 Toyota Corolla S
                  92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

white smoke is coolant. which means coolant is getting into the cylinders somehow. blown head gasket maybe?
                    visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post

Running lean can cause smoke (usually a gray or very faint gray smoke)but that would mean that he's not getting alot of fuel to burn.

Injectors or filter
                      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
                        Any way to clean that up? Any fuel additives? And for the white smoke what could that be? Oil burning?
                        Do you mean "how to clean fuel system"? Before you do any of the following, you would like to establish that you have the need for cleaning them first.
                        1) You may try one of those fuel system cleaner additives.
                        2) Replace fuel filter,
                        3) Remove and send injectors for professional clean job.
                        I have never seen a clogged fuel line yet in my engine tinkering life. So, I don't know what to say about it.
                        4) Maybe, blow compressed air to clean.

Because you are seeing white smoke coming out at higher RPM, I was tempted to say you have oil burning issue. But, you also say your spark plugs are appearing to have lean burn condition. I am not sure what to suggest.

I'd say to check plugs again after a while. Post photos if possible.

Running lean can cause smoke (usually a gray or very faint gray smoke)but that would mean that he's not getting alot of fuel to burn.
                        I wonder what kind of substance is burning to create gray smoke in your lean burn condition.

On piston aircraft engines, you can manually control mixture to lean.
                        These engines are shut down by cutting fuel going into cylinders. I have yet to see gray or faint gray smoke coming out of exhaust pipe(s) on engine shut down.
                        On some occasions, I see pilots performing ground run up do lean burn. I have yet to see or notice smoke come out in situation like that.
                        Maybe prop wash is causing smoke to disappear.
                        Last edited by oyajicool; 01-09-2013, 02:16 AM.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

have you checked your oil level after a while to see if it is lower.. because that might be a possible answer.
                          <-- MRT

Comment

I may also add the car has been sitting for about 8 months not being driven as I was school and out of state as well. I was told that old fuel can cause issues as well.
                            The CB7 Collector.
                            92 LX Coupe F22A1
                            2013 Toyota Corolla S
                            92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

If that is the case, fill in new gas and the problem will be solved.

I wonder if that will solve smoking issue but fresh gas should make your engine run better.
                              Last edited by oyajicool; 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM.
                              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                              X