Recommendations on Oil Weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations on Oil Weight?

Here is my dilemma: I always use Mobil 1 10W/30 in all my cars. But when i bought my accord last year and starting using this oil it was using like a quart every 500 miles or so. i was living in florida at the time so i decided to switch to Mobil 1 20W/50. well that fixed the oil consumption but now i live in pennsylvania and it is getting very, very cold. i have heard you are not supposed to use a thick, heavy oil in the cold. will it cause any damage to the engine, or should i let the car warm up extra long before driving? any suggestions? the car has 135, 000 miles and other than the oil consumption with the lower weight oil the engine is fine, definitely not ready for a rebuild or replacement.

a thicker oil can be 0w30 but man those are still iffy now.

if ur burning oil in the beater car, just change back to dino oil and put some high milage oil in it. these have esters and other things so that it will kinda help stop burning oil.

my car never burns oil....well actually on the dipstick, if its full...when i change my oil 3k later...it is about 95% to the top line...

i red line alot -)
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i used to have my Accord up in Pittsburgh till i moved down to Gainesville for college. i used 5W30. didn't burn oil at all. car has 168K on it right now.

Comment

check ur pvc valve to see if its working right...

take it out while the car is running, stick ur finger in there..if u get a vacumn then good....turn off the car and then shake it, if u hear a click its good...

i changed mine, i heard a click but then i looked inside and all the parts are broken lolz
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I live in Michigan and use 5w30, and its as cold here as anywhere. No problems so far. I'd stick with 10w or 5w.

Comment

Originally posted by vmchurch
            I live in Michigan and use 5w30, and its as cold here as anywhere. No problems so far. I'd stick with 10w or 5w.
            I agree & live in Michigan too. Go with 5W-30, but if it burns too much, try 10W-30. I would not go any higher viscosity than that for a multigrade oil. If you have a remote starter, use it like 5-7 min before you drive, if not try to let ur car warm up before you drive it. At minimal, start it up before you scrap the snow or ice off ur car.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

you can go to 15w30 or anything in the 15 weight just fine. yet they wont flow well when they are cold.

in cold weather....5w30...hotter weather 10w30....in cold weather i mean below 30 degrees like snow....hot weather; the 10w30 oil will go down to about 50 degrees

5w30 is good in warm weather too but 10w30 can go much higher...

Retro!

Hater

Comment

where in Pa black and tan, i used to live in the northeast til i drove the cb7 cross country to washington, but i used 10w30 in my cars and never had probs, so yeah 5 dub or 10dub 30 and ur good

Comment

Working...
                X