No announcement yet.

California CAT needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you mean by "Visual". Never seen the tech guy go underneath to take a look at the CAT. I could be mistaken, though.

Comment

If a cop looks, and the cat isn't proper, you could be fined. I believe the car could even be impounded.

Comment

Crap! Thats not good. Anyone else?

Comment

You could always post an ad on Craigslist, or contact anyone that's parting out a car. Just ask them if you can buy their cat. Junkyards may not be able to sell them legally... but some dude with a junker in his driveway is a different story (ok, it may still be illegal, but who will know?)
          Just show up to his house with a hacksaw or a torch.

Comment

RockAuto sells a CARB certified bolt-in catalytic converter for our 4G Accords for ~$110. They have more expensive ones, but I stopped at the first CARB cert'd one I found.

Also, a bit OT but it's been bugging me. What's the "best" or "most proper" way to refer to all of the "4G Accords" that cb7tuner.com caters to? I realize we don't only cater to those, but that's not my question. Referring to that category as "CBs" or even "CB7s" doesn't encompass the whole 90-93 ranged coupés, sedans, and wagons in all of the markets, does it? Perhaps "CB" is the best referent...

Comment

They're all the CB chassis. When the site was created, the creator (not me) didn't know that not all 4th gen Accords were CB7s (because all USDM coupes and sedans are CB7s)

SM4 is commonly used in many places, though rarely in the US (you'll see SM4 stamped in various places on your car.)

Comment

deevergoat, I like your style. It sounds like a long shot, but its seems worth looking into.
                Reklipz, did u swap out your CAT recently?
                Last edited by laloquera; 12-03-2012, 02:14 AM.

Comment

If cheap and legal is the way to go, that way would be the best approximation!
                  New would be best, of course... as a used one may not be in good condition... but it might be worth the chance if you have the ability to weld it on yourself.

Comment

About a year ago I flip a cb7 sedan and paid for a new CAT
                    $280. Her car is not working and and has been sitting in her driveway for about six months. I know that CAT has about five months of life working on the car. I would stop by and make her an offer but the chick is a meth addict and lives in meth house. So, am gonna have to pass on that.

Comment

Hey, money for that cat will buy more meth for her!

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                        Reklipz, did u swap out your CAT recently?
                        I did not, but a new exhaust is in the plans. The PO took out the cat and welded in a straight-pipe. A poor weld job at that; the flex pipe is broken, the welds are crap, the flanges were cut off as well as the hanger, and the pipe isn't even straight! The PO did swap the muffler for a dual tipped one from an EX though, which is about the only positive.

Comment

reklipz, sound like a major project, good luck. U in California?

Comment

deevergote, Yeah, I sadly know it.

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                              reklipz, sound like a major project, good luck. U in California?
                              I'm not in Cali, nope. There are no vehicle inspection requirements for vehicles sold in-state here in NE, so I'm getting away with it for now. I don't know the laws either, but it's very possible that running without a catalytic converter, or at least modifying a stock cat/cnvrt system is illegal. It's also possible that the design is old enough that it's excepted under the law.

Anyway, I plan on replacing the cat as there is no good reason not to have it. The performance loss is minimal, even without a high-flow cat. As far as the amount of work, fortunately it's relatively straightforward. I partake in a local "makerspace" (www.omahamakergroup.org) where we have a bunch of awesome tools and a space to hold it all at our disposal. We've got a CNC mill, a mill converted drill press, a lathe, ... basically a whole machine shop at my disposal, along with so many other things and a great group of folks to enjoy it with.

Comment

I believe a cat is required by federal law, but many states have no emissions testing. In those states, most people don't care.

In Cali, it's a BIG deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X