Running rich???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running rich???

Hey guys, so my cb has been running like crap lately, every morning when I start up my car, I can smell gas. I think my car could be running rich? My exhaust is black and sooty. What could be causing it? Should I start by replacing my fuel filter? Any thoughts? Oh and my gas mileage is horrible...prolly getting 200-220 a tank, if im lucky.

Is your CEL on?

A common cause for running rich is a failing o2 sensor. Sticky injectors or an improperly functioning ignition system could also play a part.

Comment

My CEL is wierd, sometimes it will come on, sometimes it wont. I will be driving for about 15 mins and it will come on. Then when I shut off the car and start it again, it doesn't turn on until about 20 mins later of driving. basically, it comes and goes. Does that help?

Comment

Have you ever tried pulling the code? That will likely tell you what is wrong.
        My guess is it's Code 43 - Fuel Supply System... which, oddly enough, is most often an o2 sensor code.
        If that's the case, replace the o2 sensor with a new Denso or NGK/NTK unit. DO NOT use a Bosch sensor (that's what many autoparts stores will give you if you just ask for an Accord o2 sensor.) Bosch does not work properly for our cars.

Comment

thanks, that will be the first thing I do. I will let you know the results.

Comment

replace o2(as said), then have the injectors rebuilt, clean and flow balanced(if the o2 doesnt fix)

Comment

My car runs rich and always smells of gas. Stock P14 automatic ECU setup with a lightly modded H22A and it still always smells of gas. I still get great mileage so idk. wouldn't mind finding out what the problem is though.
              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

My car smells the same way when i start it too.When it gets warm it doesnt smell like gas but i have a leak in my header and when i go up hill and accelerate it smells pretty bad.My check engine light hasnt come on

I dont want to threadjack but i think it will be inappropriate for me to make another thread asking the same question

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                  My car runs rich and always smells of gas. Stock P14 automatic ECU setup with a lightly modded H22A and it still always smells of gas. I still get great mileage so idk. wouldn't mind finding out what the problem is though.
                  P14? That's an H23A1 ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    P14? That's an H23A1 ECU.
                    Lol, JK. It had a P14 in it when I got it. Had a P13 in the trunk. One of the many things I had to figure out when I got this running a few years ago. I have a P14 for sale, anyone interested? Haha.
                    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Also, I don't know if this is related, but sometimes when I accelerate, the gas pedal feels spongy, like there is some resistance and I can't go any faster, UNTIL i refresh and hit the gas again. Do you think that may be related to a fuel issue???

Comment

Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. And check your codes. Code 41 and 43 are most commonly an oxygen sensor issue. I have code 43 but mine is going to be a fuel pump issue. Injectors are clean and oxygen sensor is new and my car hesitates to start sometimes. And my pressure is low. So i know mine is the pump.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                        Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
                        Originally posted by bmxicansd
                        so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Do any of you that smell gas out of your exhaust have an exhaust with the cat removed? This will cause the exhaust to smell of gas a bit.
                          My work in progress!

Comment

Originally posted by erknee916 View Post
                            Also, I don't know if this is related, but sometimes when I accelerate, the gas pedal feels spongy, like there is some resistance and I can't go any faster, UNTIL i refresh and hit the gas again. Do you think that may be related to a fuel issue???
                            If it feels spongy, it may be due to an improperly adjusted throttle cable.
                            If you hit a "dead spot" and have no power until you come off the gas and then floor it... that is definitely an o2 sensor symptom.

Pull the code. 41 and/or 43 means o2 sensor. Replace it with Denso or NTK/NGK (Rockauto.com has Denso dirt cheap, I believe...)

Originally posted by 1990exr View Post
                            Do any of you that smell gas out of your exhaust have an exhaust with the cat removed? This will cause the exhaust to smell of gas a bit.
                            There is never a good reason to remove the cat in our cars. The 1-2hp you'll gain is not worth the smell, sound, or pollution to the environment.

Comment

I have the same issue just no cel code I have a h22a and it breaks if gas I put premium in it all the time and I also have a very black exhaust and I'm only getting about 200 to the tank ..I called a local shop and he said I probably just need a ecu tune and when its warming up it starts out at around 2500 and once it gets to about 1700 rpm it starts to idal up and down until fully warmed up?

Anyone have any imput

Comment

Working...
                              X