H2U5 Tranny symptoms of failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H2U5 Tranny symptoms of failure

My 92 EX coupe has taken a mad dump today. My question is how does the transmission end up being stuck in gear and what could have caused this to happen. Prior to this happening I had a grind in 3rd and I lost 5th gear yesterday. And before hand I had a slight grinding noise coming from the tranny when the clutch pedal is up and goes away when down. Any tips on what to do? Thanks in advance.

Happy
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Have you checked your fluid and how is your clutch? Were these two replaced at anytime? If so, how long ago?

Comment

sounds like it warned you prior but you kept driving on it. I'd just get an H series tranny...might as well upgrade since you've got to get a new trans anyways

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Sounds like broken shift forks or synchros...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
          Sounds like broken shift forks or synchros...
          Our transmissions only have one shift fork. And bad syncros only make it hard to get in or out of gear.
          Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-01-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
            My question is how does the transmission end up being stuck in gear and what could have caused this to happen.
            Broke or bent shift fork...
            Prior to this happening I had a grind in 3rd and I lost 5th gear yesterday.
            Bad syncros...
            And before hand I had a slight grinding noise coming from the tranny when the clutch pedal is up and goes away when down.
            Bad throw out bearing or clutch problem...

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
            Our transmissions only have one shift fork. And bad syncros only make it hard to get in or out of gear.
            Our transmissions have two shift forks, you must be forgetting the one for reverse. You must have also missed him saying he had problems getting in and out of 3rd and 5th.

Comment

Ive seen bad syncros cause a trans to be stuck in gear. Never have I seen a complete loss of a gear do to a bad syncro. And i know that you were not saying that. The OPs trans is in desperate need of some serious help.

I was thinking of shift arm. Here is a diagram of the shift forks BTW.
              http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=MT+SHIFT+FORK

Sounds like a perfect time for an H transmission if you want to upgrade. Im sure that you can find one cheaper than you can rebuild your current one for.

Comment

I was wrong there are 3 shift forks, not two. One for reverse and one for forward gears and one for over drive (5th gear).

And yes I agree he should get a new one ASAP. His current one is shot.
                Last edited by wildBill83; 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I was wrong there are 3 shift forks, not two. One for reverse and one for forward gears and one for over drive (5th gear).

Thats an awesome diagram, I saved it on my PC, hope you dont mind!

Comment

Not at all, we are here to share info afterall!

Comment

Not at all, we are here to share info afterall!
                      Lol, I saved and printed it too

Thanks man
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for the help. Been here 3 years and needed info as always. This is the first time I have ever had that happen. And I now know the cause of why it failed. The kid that owned it before me did the clutch and told me something was loose...either way time for a M2B4 tranny with H2Ux 4th and 5th
                        The CB7 Collector.
                        92 LX Coupe F22A1
                        2013 Toyota Corolla S
                        92 EX Sedan F22A1
                        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for the help. Been here 3 years and needed info as always. This is the first time I have ever had that happen. And I now know the cause of why it failed. The kid that owned it before me did the clutch and told me something was loose...either way time for a M2B4 tranny with H2Ux 4th and 5th
                          Something loose was the throw out bearing... damn he screwed you... Research the gear swap, you may have to have them machined down.

Comment

When I do my Euro R H22A swap I will be using these synchros.
                            http://shop.synchrotech-transmission...Accord_c11.htm

Something bad happened to your trans. Mine has 365k and has no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                              When I do my Euro R H22A swap I will be using these synchros.
                              http://shop.synchrotech-transmission...Accord_c11.htm

Something bad happened to your trans. Mine has 365k and has no problems.
                              Tell me about it...btw you should come up to KC sometime
                              The CB7 Collector.
                              92 LX Coupe F22A1
                              2013 Toyota Corolla S
                              92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

Working...
                              X