Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Had an intermediate shaft go bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Had an intermediate shaft go bad?

Hey guys I have searched pretty good before I decided to post a thread. I would like to know if anyone has experienced a bad intermediate shaft.

Right now my car makes a groaning/vibration at low rpm acceleration. Now before anyone jumps to conclusions.

I have already replaced...

Both front axles
    Both front wheel bearings w/ hubs
    Both front tie rods

I cant imagine what else it could be BUT the intermediate shaft or its bearing

I have yet to get under the car and wiggle it around. I just happened to read a thread that said this type thing tends to happen and wanted some input

thanks in advance for any useful info

-sean
    Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
    Arcadia Green Crew #10

It is possible yet unlikely your intermediate shaft is causing the vibrations. What brand of cv axles did you use? I have had them be bad straight out the box from parts stores. The ONLY SURE way to get a good cv axle is go with honda OEM or raxles.com (my choice). I say it's one of your cv axles, they are very often crap right from the store.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I'm pretty sure HondaFan81 had his halfshaft rebuilt awhile back, not sure why, maybe he had a vibration

Comment

I replaced my intermediate shaft 2-3 month ago, with a JY replacement. I had a grinding noise when I accelerated hard from a stop and when making a left turn and accelerating hard. I did a H22 swap earlier this year, I reused the intermediate shaft because I reused the Accord 5-speed transmission. I did not have the grinding noise before the swap, It had the grind almost immediately after the swap. After searching for it my self and trying several things, I was told it could NOT be the intermediate shaft. I finally pulled and inspected the intermediate shaft....and it had noticeable play in the bearing, I went immediately to the JY and pulled a replacement shaft and installed it.The grinding was gone. Hope this can help, good luck and be well.

(My car is a 92 EX 5-speed)

Comment

thanks for the reply guys. My and Deevergote went to the junkyard yesterday and by some miracle found and intermediate shaft to try on my car.

Then we went to honda to get a new outer seal because I plan to take the old seal off and clean it out a little the re-gread and install.

I will be installing this one in the near future and will hopefully have fixed the problem.

P.S. I am positive that it is not the axle. for anyone in the future reading this post. it is not the CV axles

-sean

Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Yeah, after driving the car, the noise really does seem to come from directly in front of the driver... right where the intermediate shaft is. The guy at Honda did say that it's very possible that the shaft is the cause of the noise. It was definitely not from the transmission side of the car, so that's a really good sign!

Comment

Does an auto tranny has this shaft?
              Thanks.

Comment

No, it does not.

Comment

ok guys so i changed the intermediate shaft and the result is the same.

I still have a groaning/virbration sound. it starts at about 2000 RPM and only occurs as long as i push the throttle harder. If i take it easy everywhere i go i can limit the sound to almost never.

is there anything other than driveline than could cause the sound.

-sean

Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

I'm starting to have a similar problem :/
                    My 91 ex coupe
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=189841

Comment

Working...
                    X