Battery Died Overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Died Overnight

OK so its just what the title says. I got out to my car this morning and CLICK! It wouldn't start. So I charged the battery and I'm all set. But what would Be the first place to look. Well actually I can answer that. I keep hearing my cooling fan go on for no reason when the car has been off for a few hours. There was one day that the car was ice cold not run all day and the cooling fan was running. What should I look for to find this issue.
    1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Alternator would be my first check. How old is the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
      Alternator would be my first check. How old is the battery?
      ^

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
      I keep hearing my cooling fan go on for no reason when the car has been off for a few hours. There was one day that the car was ice cold not run all day and the cooling fan was running. What should I look for to find this issue.
      Also, I would check the cooling fan relay.
      92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
      2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
      2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Load test the battery to see if the battery is still good.

For cooling fan, it is possible the timer-relay is at fault.
        A&P-IA

Comment

I notice that during a really hot day and I use the AC, after I shut off the car, the fan would come on for about 10 minutes but only that once and 10 minutes. If it stays on longer than it's the timer. That little box next to the cruise control box under the driver's dash. Tight but easy to replace.
          If the fan relay is bad, wouldn't the fan not run?
          If it's the alternator, you can stick a voltmeter to test for 14V or higher. You can take you car to a local auto part store for the battery load test.

Comment

The alternator was just replaced, and the battery is 2 years old. I get over 14 volts while running. Is there a way to test the timing unit?

Comment

Ok so last night I swapped the power window relay and cooling fan relay. Today I removed my aftermarket alarm because it hasn't worked right anyway and the key fob broke so I had no use with it anyway (what a hack job that was, they used at least a whole role of electrical tape). The battery didn't die last night so we'll see about tonight.

Comment

Alright I think its the battery. I took a 300 mile trip no problem then the next day which is today I checked the battery voltage and and it was at 12.35 Volts so I think the battery is no good.

Comment

Your battery will only have 12 volts, it won't be higher unless the car is running at which time the volt reading would be coming from the alternator output.

Your problem isn't the battery or alt, it's your fan or whatever else that is draining it or shorting out.

Comment

put a voltmeter on the battery and start pulling relays or fuses till the drop stops.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I know it won't have `14 volts like when its running, but it should have 12.6V or atleast close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
                        Alright I think its the battery. I took a 300 mile trip no problem then the next day which is today I checked the battery voltage and and it was at 12.35 Volts so I think the battery is no good.
                        Having 12.35 VDC indicates about 50% or a little better of full charge state, depending upon the type pf battery you have.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

well its a walmart battery and its 2 years old should i get a new battery

Comment

It's your money. Spend it any way you like. But why not spend it wisely.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us20310.htm
                            Last edited by oyajicool; 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Just some more info. I have replaced the alternator twice since I bought the car and it has been the same battery.

The headlights also flash out when I turn on either turn signal.

Comment

Working...
                              X