Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both wheels spin equally when launching but no LSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both wheels spin equally when launching but no LSD?

A buddy of mine and I were arguing today and he insisted that his civic had a LSD tranny. We had no jack present to lift up the car and spin the tires to see if it really was so he dumped the clutch in his driveway and to his embarrassment only one tire mark.

Anyway then I hop in my car and dump the clutch in his driveway and to my surprise, both tires had left perfectly even tire marks? I thought, maybe it was just once, so I do it again and this time I ripped up the ebrake for about 4-5 seconds to test it and both tires were smoking it up and there was 2 even tire marks on the ground.

My god brother has a cb7 and his only spins one tire?

So on to my question, do any of you have any experience with this or am I lucky and have and lsd in my tranny?!?

Haha.. wow.. I watched this video with my sound up.. didn't realize that the surround sound volume was up...
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Same thing with me. My auto would lay down equal length marks and my current 5spd does the same in a straight line. Both open differentials. Can't explain how because I've never heard of anyone with an open diff with the same experience. Enjoy it!
      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Its because both wheels have equal traction/slip therefore they both spin together.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

^ X2

Its a hit or miss thing. My sedan is like that.

Comment

My Cb would spin both together right through to 5th.
            The only time it would one wheel was if you were turning, or one wheel was on a surface with less grip than the other.

It's not unusual to be able to spin 2 wheels at once.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

With an LSD you still can spin the inside tire through a turn, it just takes more power, more throttle input, crappy tires, and uneven pavement.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I reckon the easiest way to test it is to put one drive wheel on grass and the other on concrete and do a skid.

H22A Vigor
                SR20 Accord

Comment

My CB9 lays even strips for about 20 feet, and I have an open diff. And it spins both wheels everytime
                  '93 LX Wagon (On the back burner)
                  '92 EX Wagon (Traded)
                  '93 EX Wagon (Current DD)

Comment

Working...
                  X