Hondata Gasket Leak? high idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hondata Gasket Leak? high idle?

I'm trying to eradicate this high idle on my H22 I've had for the past month or so and have tried everything short of removing the intake manifold to inspect the Hondata gasket I've got installed.

I've replaced the TB gasket, and inspected all the plenum gaskets along with all the vac. lines and all the rubber O-ring gaskets for the IAC and FIV with no change. Sprayed everywhere down with carb cleaner and nada. My Idle speed seems to hover around 1300 RPMs and sometimes will settle to 1000 but no lower than that. I set the base idle according to HondaFan81's thread and it still didn't change anything.

My question is, have these Hondata gaskets been known to leak or crack after a long time? I've got the white version of the phenolic gasket, which leads me to believe its one of their first gen. designs...did they switch over to that blue phenolic material recently?

idk....anyone have any experiences or findings about any issues? Does this stuff break down over time and crack? I inspected my IM nuts and found 1 of them almost completely backed out of the studs towards the passenger side upper stud. Tightened it back down and it didn't change anything as far as the idle's concerned.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
    I'm trying to eradicate this high idle on my H22 I've had for the past month or so and have tried everything short of removing the intake manifold to inspect the Hondata gasket I've got installed.

I've replaced the TB gasket, and inspected all the plenum gaskets along with all the vac. lines and all the rubber O-ring gaskets for the IAC and FIV with no change. Sprayed everywhere down with carb cleaner and nada. My Idle speed seems to hover around 1300 RPMs and sometimes will settle to 1000 but no lower than that. I set the base idle according to HondaFan81's thread and it still didn't change anything.

My question is, have these Hondata gaskets been known to leak or crack after a long time? I've got the white version of the phenolic gasket, which leads me to believe its one of their first gen. designs...did they switch over to that blue phenolic material recently?

idk....anyone have any experiences or findings about any issues? Does this stuff break down over time and crack? I inspected my IM nuts and found 1 of them almost completely backed out of the studs towards the passenger side upper stud. Tightened it back down and it didn't change anything as far as the idle's concerned.
    I can't speak on the gaskets, but remove the intake pipe, have someone put their hand over the TB and see if it will start. If it does then there's a gasket leak, if not, it's something else.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I also found out its sometimes dependent on if I turn on my headlights/foglights. It usually doesn't do the high idle when I'm driving in the daytime.

I've got an 35w HID kit and some Lexus 55w foglights I wired up to the driverside kick panel (grounded at the radiator for each foglight and then grounded the on/off switch on the cig lighter's ground)

Also battery is relocated in the trunk with 4 gauge wire running to starter and 3 additional grounds as well as in inline fuse was added in trunk area.

I had HID's back when I was F22 swapped though and it didn't cause a high idle. But I just thought I'd disclose everything about the situation to hopefully come up with a solution.

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
        I also found out its sometimes dependent on if I turn on my headlights/foglights. It usually doesn't do the high idle when I'm driving in the daytime.

I've got an 35w HID kit and some Lexus 55w foglights I wired up to the driverside kick panel (grounded at the radiator for each foglight and then grounded the on/off switch on the cig lighter's ground)

Also battery is relocated in the trunk with 4 gauge wire running to starter and 3 additional grounds as well as in inline fuse was added in trunk area.

I had HID's back when I was F22 swapped though and it didn't cause a high idle. But I just thought I'd disclose everything about the situation to hopefully come up with a solution.
        Did you splice into any power wires for the HID's/fogs?
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          Did you splice into any power wires for the HID's/fogs?
          The HIDs are plug/play using the 9006 low beam connector then it gets converted into a D2S connector for my TSX projector's D2S bulbs.

The fogs are only getting power from the D/S interior kickpanel. I've got them both running to a switch on the dash (power/ground/common) then to the kickpanel's Pin 1 via a pin connector crimped onto it.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

The white ones tend to break close to #4 cyl because of the egr hole
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
              The white ones tend to break close to #4 cyl because of the egr hole
              good to know! my suspicions might be correct then. I'll have to take th IM off and find out for sure one of these days.

Do you know if they modified the design for the blue ones?

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Did you set the tops sensor? You can also adjust the slack on you throttle cable.
                2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
                2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
                CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
                GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

recheck the torque on those intake mani nuts. the gaskets tend to crush over time.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

When I had the high idle recently it was the IACV. If you get high idle only with accessories running, could it be the control box?

Comment

Originally posted by Hostile View Post
                      Did you set the tops sensor? You can also adjust the slack on you throttle cable.
                      I recently threw a code 7 so I swapped my TB with a spare I had and that eliminated it. But its still doing a high idle

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      recheck the torque on those intake mani nuts. the gaskets tend to crush over time.
                      Yeah I had to tighten about 3 outta the 9, I used loctite on that end one just in case

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                      When I had the high idle recently it was the IACV. If you get high idle only with accessories running, could it be the control box?
                      what control box are you talking about? inside the Black box where the MAP sensor and stuff are?

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                      X