Back fires out intake and runs rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back fires out intake and runs rough

Ok I have a 1990 ex. And when you start the car doesn't matter cold or hot. And it backfires out the intake. I Have used a multi meter to check the coil icm and wiring and that all checks out. I have checked fuel pressure and it's 39 psi. and compression is 155 160 180 180 left to right. I can't figure this out. My car just back fires out the intake and has no power what so ever at all. At a loss of what I should look at next. It still starts and runs and drives just barelly.

Check the timing.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I have only ever checked timings on small blocks. How do I do this on the accord and also. Does anyone know if you can rent timing lights.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...91&postcount=1

I don't know if you can rent a timing gun or not, best bets to call and ask. Sounds like you're a few teeth off, no power and back firing through the intake leads me toward timing.

02 Crv
        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Ya I just don't have money to just fork out for a one time use tool.

Comment

You probably already checked, but are your spark plug wires in the right order?

MRT - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172713

1993 Accord Ex

Comment

Yes I have checked that multiple times that was my thinking to im now also getting a code 1 and at the moment im broke down on the side of the road in my wifes wagon hondas are not doing so well for me the past 2 weeks can a oxygen sensor make your car run that bad?

Comment

Timing aka your belt jumped a tooth or your intake valves are out of adjustment. you don't need a timing light to check the physical timing of the crankshaft and camshaft.

If you are constantly running lean then a code 1 will be thrown as your ECU can no longer make any adjustments based on the lean voltage/signals the O2 sensor is continuously sending it. The ECU would be programmed to read that it is the O2 that is at fault.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

A little confused at the end what tour meaning ghost this has been getting progressively worse not just a insant thing. Also how do I check physical timing without a light?
                  Last edited by andrew22888; 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

It will take time for the ECU to throw a code 1 if it is based on an engine constantly running lean. It's not instant unless your AFRs are really lean right away. Another code that may accompany this could be code 43. Fuel supply system

Pull the spark plugs and let us know what they look like on the business end. When was the last time you had the timing belt changed and the valves adjusted?
                    Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Car has 176 timing belt unknown. Valves adjusted unknown just bought it 2,000 miles ago

Comment

I meant running like this didn't happen instantly it happens gradually. So I don't think it could be slipped belt it looks fairly new.

Comment

Ok changed plugs cause they were black again no longer backfires out the intake but still runs very sluggish. But it runs better when cold. When warns up I get a instant code 43 even after clearing the codes

Comment

Working...
                          X