Low mileage O2 sensor but old in age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low mileage O2 sensor but old in age

I'm running an NGK o2 sensor I found in a 45k mile CB7, or rather from a guy's 45k mile CB7 that I replaced because he thought his was bad, or causing him not to pass emissions but turned out it had no effect on his results.

Anyways, would age alone be a factor in determining if an O2 sensor is bad? This sensor doesn't have very many miles but is original from a 92 EX CB7.

Am I OK to be running this? or would you replace it w/ a new one?

I am only getting about 22mpg on my H22 w/ 50/50 city/hwy
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-18-2012, 12:04 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

if the o2 is bad you will get a check engine light. if dont light show on, the o2 is good, also if you car grab a lot of fuel its a good thing to determine if the o2 is good because your af mixture will bad and will run very rich.
    Last edited by WhiteShift; 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Sometimes the o2 sensor wont throw codes just like mine (NTK sensor). But symptoms of a sensor going bad is, if the car is bogging or getting low MPG numbers.
      MY MRT
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178936

Comment

I would just use it and see how it runs, you already know how easy they are to replace i'm sure.

They don't wear down with age, theres nothing to break down inside of them

They wear down when a lot of carbon builds up on them

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
          I would just use it and see how it runs, you already know how easy they are to replace i'm sure.

They don't wear down with age, theres nothing to break down inside of them

They wear down when a lot of carbon builds up on them
          I just figured the wires might break down over those 20 years causing some resistance.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

wow, just check the fucking voltage on the signal wire.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              wow, just check the fucking voltage on the signal wire.
              U having a bad night or something? chill the fuck out. I don't have a fancy multimeter like you probably do.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

A "fancy" multimeter costs about $30. So does a brand new Denso o2 sensor, for that matter.

Anyway, since we don't know if the o2 sensor is good or not, we can only guess... it is indeed possible for an o2 sensor to begin to fail without throwing codes. It will eventually, but not early on. It's possible for the wires to be bad. It's possible that the car you got the o2 sensor from was running like crap when it was on the road (maybe it had a blown head gasket), and fouled the o2 sensor.
                Maybe your poor fuel economy is unrelated to the o2 sensor.

Comment

i have a 20 dollar multimeter from sears. is that fancy? oh and welcome to the technical section. your topic belongs to threads regarding o2 sensor signal low, how to diagnose?
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yeah I didn't realize how cheap they were. In that case, which one would be best? NTK or Denso? These were off Rock Auto.

50.79 for the NTK 24169 (H22)
                    39.79 for the Denso 2344011 (H22)

and this is weird but the F22 Denso sensor is a different part number 33.79 and 2344095. The NTK one is identical for both engines.
                    Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-19-2012, 02:03 PM.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

It could be for the different locations... we have two different part numbers for our o2 sensors because the A6 and A4 have the sensor in a different location than the A1. The H22 and A6 sensor may be the same part.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter which brand you get. Either of those two will work just fine. I say go with the cheaper one, as long as you know it'll fit. Keep in mind, you want the one that's correctly wired for your car, so it'll plug in properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        I just figured the wires might break down over those 20 years causing some resistance.
                        I doubt the copper in the wires would just break down without being exposed to elements directly

Comment

again, there are was to test this:

first start by checking that voltage is getting to the heaters, that there is continuity on your sensor ground
                          and last but not least check voltage on the signal wire going to the ecu,
                          check it at the sensor and at the ecu to double check

it doenst matter if it has 45k or 310k, tests make it good or bad, not swapping parts
                          on a 45k CB a CEL would have come up if the o2 was defective, and if it was he would have passed emissions unlike the situation

multimeters are cheap, it will make you a better mechanic trust me
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            I doubt the copper in the wires would just break down without being exposed to elements directly
                            The copper probably wouldn't deteriorate, but the sheathing would.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              The copper probably wouldn't deteriorate, but the sheathing would.
                              what is sheating? who is sheating? lol?!?! ........ shielding/insulation
                              Last edited by 90blackcoupe; 02-20-2012, 10:25 AM.

1993 CB6 Coupe Seattle Silver YR-94M

Originally posted by Acclude
                              4gens are win. It's in the bible somewhere.
                              yeah its verse 10.6:1

Members Ride Thread
                              1993 Accord Coupe- Summer ride
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130064
                              1995 Civic Coupe - Winter/DD
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...53#post2744953

Comment

Working...
                              X