displacement and power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

displacement and power

why is it that the f22a1 has 2.2L of displacement but only produces 125 hp? is it due to the fact that it is only a SOHC???

dont forget compression ratio

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Why is it that a 1990 cavalier has a 3.1 litre 135hp v6?

Comment

who cares..... thats what the H series was invented for!!!!.... -justin-

MY SH!T FOR SALE!

H23A1 (60,000 miles)
        tranny (no grinds)
        ECU
        DC header w/ heat wrap
        full exhaust with angled N1 Canister....
        $1000 obo delivered

SOLD!

Comment

There are many things involved with an engine's output other than displacement. Larger displacement often adds more torque than horsepower, it seems (I could probably learn why... in fact I should, but I haven't yet!)

The amount of flow the engine allows, through the intake manifold, head, exhaust manifold/header, and exhaust system... The amount of fuel flowed, the lift and duration of the cam(s) (dual cams can offer greater tuning capabilities, even from the factory). Displacement does play a role, but there's is much more to it than that!

Comment

an 92+ ford taurus 3.8L V6 only make 140HP while the tq is 225, I use to own one..
            like deev say it in the engine design, and an older 3.8l v6 mustang make 220+hp which is almost the same engine except for a few internal componet different, piston compression, inatek exhaust u guess the rest but also the ecu is tune down by the factory to it make less power to meet emmision and low insurance price. with domestic or car a few engine part and reflash ecu can make 30-40hp for n/a car.. with import it can be done but not as much, since honda already sqeezing most hp out of the car. but the accord 140hp is good power range for a economy car, since new 2004+ 2.0L-2.4L economy car make only 140-160hp also.
            90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
            < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Yeah, very true. Honda engines are quite efficient, so they come from the factory with a pretty good flowing design. That's why you can make 20hp with headers on a domestic V8, but adding even a good header on a Honda motor will add less than half of that.

Comment

so what kind of engine mods can i do to the f22a1 to take advantage of the 2.2L displacement?

Comment

remember, power comes from head work, cams and the right valve train... compression comes from your bottom end. more power means bigger ports and a higher lift and longer duration camshaft.
                  The beginning of a new era............................
                  165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                  184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                    so what kind of engine mods can i do to the f22a1 to take advantage of the 2.2L displacement?
                    Aside from the normal bolt-on mods (I/H/E and pulleys) you can either get another intake manifold or convert to the A6 mani (or the H23 mani, and get it polished and portmatched). Getting a better cam, or a decent regrind like a Delta cam (I have one sitting in my passenger seat right now, waiting for my frined to come get it!) From there, you can get a chipped P06 ECU like Accord R33 is running, and have that tuned. An adjustible cam gear for more tuning would be good as well. Take the whole car to a dyno for about 4 hours and pull about 10 more hp from it... you MIGHT be looking at 150hp or so. Possibly more, but NEVER trust the claims of aftermarket companies!

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                      why is it that the f22a1 has 2.2L of displacement but only produces 125 hp? is it due to the fact that it is only a SOHC???
                      wow... that's a very broad question there. There's way too many things involved in how much horsepower an engine puts out, displacement gives easy torque, tuning gives high horsepower. All of the Flow characteristics, Compression, Temperature, Air/Fuel ratio, Octane Rating, ect.... there's just way too many things go get into all of them, search around the performance tech area to find out more info.

domestics suck. Not because of typical reasons, but most of the engineering in domestics BLOWS. They don't seem to want to make thier engines effecient, they just want to make them big to overcome all of the obstacles that the japanese company's engineers have been overcoming.
                      --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        Aside from the normal bolt-on mods (I/H/E and pulleys) you can either get another intake manifold or convert to the A6 mani (or the H23 mani, and get it polished and portmatched). Getting a better cam, or a decent regrind like a Delta cam (I have one sitting in my passenger seat right now, waiting for my frined to come get it!) From there, you can get a chipped P06 ECU like Accord R33 is running, and have that tuned. An adjustible cam gear for more tuning would be good as well. Take the whole car to a dyno for about 4 hours and pull about 10 more hp from it... you MIGHT be looking at 150hp or so. Possibly more, but NEVER trust the claims of aftermarket companies!
                        How much would the a6 mani help? how much money would your suggestions cost? is it worth it to put money into a f22a1 or should i just save the money for something else?

Comment

Working...
                        X