bent valve questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bent valve questions

My last thread was cb's funeral. I'm thinkong the resurrection. I have bent valves. The valves are in the head right so if I get a new head 1. Would I avoid having to deal with new valves and 2. Is there anything else that I woukd have to worry about aside from valves when replacing the head.
    IridiumCore
    HCK-The Beginning

--------------------------------------
    Your drunk she doesn't look that good.

Check to make sure the head is true an straight.If not have it milled a bit.Honestly i would change the valves it's not a difficult process if you have the proper tool.If not harbor freight has them.The ones you rent at autozone work, but are shit.I perfer the C clamp type (Link below) out of them all.
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Thanks I'm going to search for a DIY or something on valve replacement.
      IridiumCore
      HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Get a valve spring compressor tool. Wehn you compress it that washer thing will drup down and the 2 little keepers will fall out and the valve will come out, Just put the new one in the same way. It would be a good idea to have all the valves and seats machined.
        Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
        93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Sounds pretty simple. I mean heck I did the swap might as well keep it moving right.
          IridiumCore
          HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Its not to bad. Just dont loose the keepers, They like to get lost.
            Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
            93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

That "washer thing" is the retainer....
              New valves should be fine to replace your old ones no need to machine.They make a valve seating or lapping tool (Good idea to get one.Its just a suction cup deal that helps you seat the valve) aswell as valve seating compound that helps them seat an seal.
              Quite easy take your time get the proper tools and you should be fine.

Lapping tool....
              http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...-Tool/_/N-26go

Valve compound...
              http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...pound/_/N-2592

And ofcourse the valve spring compressor i've already linked you to.That should have you covered on equipment.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Great thanks bro.
                I need to do something. it's just sitting there. It may be shallow but I feel like my car has been taylored to my driving style and I don't feel confident driving anything else. Still it's going to be a minute.

I gotta find a good deal on the valve. I looked at a few places online; I don't remember who they were but they all wanted over $250 for a valve and like $1275 for a new head. I'll make time to hit up the JY but I usual only catch
                H23's out there, not to say I couldn't use them (Haven't researched that yet) but even they are rare in my area at the JY.
                IridiumCore
                HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Originally posted by IridiumCore View Post
                  Great thanks bro.
                  I need to do something. it's just sitting there. It may be shallow but I feel like my car has been taylored to my driving style and I don't feel confident driving anything else. Still it's going to be a minute.

I gotta find a good deal on the valve. I looked at a few places online; I don't remember who they were but they all wanted over $250 for a valve and like $1275 for a new head. I'll make time to hit up the JY but I usual only catch
                  H23's out there, not to say I couldn't use them (Haven't researched that yet) but even they are rare in my area at the JY.
                  i got a head that has a burnt valve if you are interested the rest of them
                  http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Consider taking your head to a machine shop and just pay for a valve job. Buy the seals from Honda, they r pretty cheap.

The machine shop will;

A.)Hot tank your head so it looks brand new again

B.)Plane/Mil your head(make it flat on the mating surface)

C.)Replace any valves with OEM quality valves. I bet OEM valves from Honda are 16-20 bux a piece. Maybe more, if so I'd go aftermarket.

D.)Seat your valves correctly. This is important and needs to be done correctly. Its not hard, if you know what your doing. If not, it sucks to put the motor together just to realize your valves aren't seated correctly and you have to pull it apart again to fix.

E.)Prolly only cost $200-$250 for a quality shop to give you your head back in brand new condition-minus wear and tear from internal shit not replaced, like lifters/rocker arms etc.

The last head I took in needed 4 valves, I got a 5 angle valve job, new valve seals I provided and it costs me $185 bux. I have a hook up locally with people I regularly use. But, the $200-$250 number is accurate. Call around.

BTW, did the valves damage any of your pistons in the process? Id check that out If I were you.
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

sometimes when you bend valves bad, they will crack the guides.

plus, the exhaust guides are always worn so take that into account.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Luckily for me it wasn't bad. One of the guys I work with got me a good deal I guess. The shop did the job for $350. She's running but a little funny. Just happy me wheels are rolling again.
                        IridiumCore
                        HCK-The Beginning

Comment

Working...
                        X