AC comp going bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC comp going bad?

I'm not sure if my AC compressor's going bad or if the clutch is going out. Pretty much when the AC compressor kicks in it makes this awful squeeling noise, like a worn bearing makes, but it goes away after a few seconds. Anyways i was looking at the compressor today and it looks like a bit of fluid has been leaking from it. I cant tell where it's coming from exactly but i know it's from my compressor somewhere.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I'll just have a mech replace the compressor, but i'm hoping it may be something else less expensive. haha...

Thanks!!!
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

might be your belt too tight or too loose, also you may want take care of that leak(change seals) and recharge

Comment

I just recharged it for the first time ever about 2 months ago and I was worried that had something to do with it. I'll get that belt checked, one of those obvious things I shouldve thought of but didnt, hahaha... Would it be better to get a mechanic to change the seals or is it pretty easy to do?

I'm just going to be happy to get rid of the sound of Alvin and the chipmunks being murdered with a mini chainsaw under the hood. It draws some looks from people, but not the kind i'd like to be getting...

Comment

i personally dont think its that hard to change, the only thing is that unless you can figure out what seal is broken, you would need to change them all.
        read this thread as it explains the process step by step
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165508

Comment

sweet, well that DIY looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

I bought the universal O-ring Kit at Autozone, those green O-rings and it came with a lot of O-rings that fit perfectly and I still had some leftovers, kit was 10 bucks.

I just changed the seals on the two lines going into the compressor and condensor. Didn't really go in depth into the firewall area, but it blew cold after doing those and filling the system with R-134a refrigerant. I bought the freon at Walmart for 9 bucks a can, Autozone wants 15 so don't go there. But this car was already converted, so the proper conversion steps should be followed in your case, if you still have the R12

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              I bought the universal O-ring Kit at Autozone, those green O-rings and it came with a lot of O-rings that fit perfectly and I still had some leftovers, kit was 10 bucks.

I just changed the seals on the two lines going into the compressor and condensor. Didn't really go in depth into the firewall area, but it blew cold after doing those and filling the system with R-134a refrigerant. I bought the freon at Walmart for 9 bucks a can, Autozone wants 15 so don't go there. But this car was already converted, so the proper conversion steps should be followed in your case, if you still have the R12
              Whos to say it was even converted properly to r134a?

Really all that goes into a proper conversion is replacing the seals and changing the oil. What else is there to possibly do?

Comment

I know mine was converted before i bought it from my mechanic. ill check out the universal kit. thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                X