My a/c Smells like piss/smokes out the vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My a/c Smells like piss/smokes out the vent

I have been having a little problem with my air conditioning system. I only use the a/c when it is hot and raining outside. If it is nice out, I always have the windows down. But, every time I go to use it, when I turn it on the a/c works, but it isnt very cool (probably needs a charge) and the worst part.. it smells like piss. Seriously there is no other way to describe it. I didnt notice it that much until my friends pointed it out. Now I am noticing it more and more. What could possibly be the cause of this? is there a cabin filter, or a charcoal filter that I could replace to take the smell out? I left the car running with the a/c on and the windows down for an hour, and it still smells!!!!

Another problem I noticed, was that my a/c smokes out my vents. I dont know if it is condensation or smoke. it has no scent (except like piss) but it is a grayish white smoke that you can see out the vents. it only does this coming out of my center vent.

Anyone have any ideas?

On a high humidity day, the AC can reduce the temperature below the dew point and cause condensation, particularly if you're bringing in air from outside. This shouldn't be an issue. As far as the smell, there is no cabin filter. There is a water collection system under the evaporator that drains through a tube that comes out of the firewall down below the fuel filter on the passenger side. Could be that tube is clogged and the water from the AC is just festering in there (this may also help cause high humidity that contributes to the vapor). Unfortunately, I think the only way to correct it is to take the system apart, clean it out, and make sure the water can drain.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      On a high humidity day, the AC can reduce the temperature below the dew point and cause condensation, particularly if you're bringing in air from outside. This shouldn't be an issue. As far as the smell, there is no cabin filter. There is a water collection system under the evaporator that drains through a tube that comes out of the firewall down below the fuel filter on the passenger side. Could be that tube is clogged and the water from the AC is just festering in there (this may also help cause high humidity that contributes to the vapor). Unfortunately, I think the only way to correct it is to take the system apart, clean it out, and make sure the water can drain.
      thanks for the response. I kind of thought i would have to take it apart. I guess i will just deal with it for now.

Comment

you can try this....back when i used to work at a garage, we had to do cabin air filters on the newer cars...we sprayed this peppermint stuff that eliminates odors. It was pretty potent, made you cough just breathing in the fumes of it when spraying those cabin filters.

Put your system to recirculate and then spray as much of that stuff as you think you'd need up from underneath the pass. floor well, where the blower motor sucks in air. Maybe that'll get rid of the mildew/piss smell

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
        X