second hand fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second hand fuel pump

is it worth getting one from the wreckers?

or just buy a new one.
    cheapes i can find is $80 from America. which means a 3 weeks wait.

A used original pump will be just as old as the one in your car... so it's just as likely to be failing, or already busted. It may work, it may not. If it works, it may break in a week. Or it may last 5 years.

If you can get it cheap, and you don't mind the work necessary to install it (and do it again in the event that it stops working), then it's worth it. Personally, that'd be far too much work for me... so I'd spend the money to replace it with a new one, just to be sure it'll work (and stay working for a long time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
      is it worth getting one from the wreckers?

or just buy a new one.
      cheapes i can find is $80 from America. which means a 3 weeks wait.

Just get a new one, like Deev said
      JDM Parts for sale

Comment

ask yourself if you want to do it all again to replace it if it's bad
        ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

If you cut a hole in your car above the fuel pump, it's pretty easy to do. I wouldn't do that personally (the idea of sparks flying around near my fuel tank doesn't appeal to me)... but many people have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            If you cut a hole in your car above the fuel pump, it's pretty easy to do. I wouldn't do that personally (the idea of sparks flying around near my fuel tank doesn't appeal to me)... but many people have done it.
            i'm scared of that type of shit, and anything that might electrocute my colorblind ass

at local truckstop, a 19 year old kid dropped a trouble light while swapping out a semi's fuel tank and the spark blew the shop up and killed him. i'm overly worried about sparks and fuel lol

I'M SCARED
            ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Just get a new one, if it lasts 20 years, chances are, the new one will last another 20...if its an OEM one. Don't get one off Ebay, an older used OEM one is far better quality wise.

And also replace the gaskets while you're in there, the old ones will NOT work and will cause you to vent fumes and your car will smell like gas all the time.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
              X