Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we change our oil so often?

Honda says to change it every 7,500 miles

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Perhaps it's because the SAE recommends it. IDK!
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

We have to change the oil because it breaks down and stops working as well. Dont mean to sound like a smartass

"Good judgement comes from experience,
      alot of that comes from bad judgment"

Comment

Originally posted by Rayz91 View Post
        We have to change the oil because it breaks down and stops working as well. Dont mean to sound like a smartass
        You probably didn't understand his post... He is saying Honda recommends 7500 miles ... And he asking why do people change it at 3000 miles... ? Honda engineers know far more than the general car owner so why don't more people follow the recommendation....

Comment

no wonder these motors rod knock like hell

the worst part it, there is a big crowd that like to follow the manual, stickers, tags
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079 View Post
            Honda says to change it every 7,500 miles

The Honda Service Manual says the Following:

Engine Oil to be changed along with the filter EVERY 7,500 miles or 6 MONTHS, which ever comes first.

**If you meet any of these severe driving conditions, you will need to service more often:

A. Repeated short distance driving. (Who Doesn't?)
            B. Dusty conditions.
            C. Severe cold weather.
            D. Areas with road salt or corrosive materials.
            E. Rough or muddy roads.
            F. Towing a trailer.

The services are:

- Air filter every 15,000 miles or 12 months. Conditions B or E
            - Engine oil and filter every 3,750 miles or 3 months. Conditions A, B or F
            - Transmission oil every 15,000 miles or 12 months. Condition F
            - Inspect front brake discs and calipers and rear discs calipers and pads every 7,500 miles or 6 months. Conditions A, B, D, E or F
            - Inspect power steering system every 7,500 miles or 6 months. Conditions B, C or E

I hope that answers your question.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

There is no proof that changing it every 3k hurts your engine.

Ive also never seen proof that changing it every 3k is a waste either.

Honda specifies 7500 as the MAX amount of time to go by before changing it.

Being early doesn't hurt.

After 3k miles of 200* temps the oil isn't as viscous as it was brand new. Now it may not be bad off either but again...................it is your motor...do what you will with it.

Try changing it every 12k miles...i guarentee it'tll be fine, its a fhf32hfc Honda.

Comment

I push it pretty far because why bother changing it more often? That just means i spent more money on oil

If you actually want to figure out how often to change your oil then send an oil sample to blackstone labs. They will tell you how much of the active cleaning additive is left in the oil so you can figure out if you're changing it too much or not enough.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Comment

I change my oil only once a year. My mileage can vary between 5-10K miles a year. In the unlikely event my engine fails due to "lack of oil changes", I'll just buy a new one with the money I saved not changing my oil so often. I'll replace it with an engine owned by a sucker who changed their oil every 3K miles. LOL!

Also, by the time my engine fails, the rest of my car will have failed anyway, and at that time I would replace the car with a new one.

Plus, I have never heard of anyone's engine failing due to lack of oil changes. Low on oil, sure. Not changing it often enough....never.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyD View Post
                    I change my oil only once a year. My mileage can vary between 5-10K miles a year. In the unlikely event my engine fails due to "lack of oil changes", I'll just buy a new one with the money I saved not changing my oil so often. I'll replace it with an engine owned by a sucker who changed their oil every 3K miles. LOL!

Also, by the time my engine fails, the rest of my car will have failed anyway, and at that time I would replace the car with a new one.

Plus, I have never heard of anyone's engine failing due to lack of oil changes. Low on oil, sure. Not changing it often enough....never.
                    I have seen a motor fail due to not changing the oil. It was a Mitsubishi Eclipse and this guy just bought it and brought it to have the oil changed(I worked at a lube shop at the time). Well we noticed the oil was nasty and when I went to take the plug out no oil came out. I got a screw driver and stuck it in the drain hole. Lots of sludge started coming out. So the guy wanted to do a engine flush well after 4 flushes the oil was clean but had a loud knock. The sludge will build up over extened use of nasty oil and when it comes out stuff will go with it.

Comment

When the oil starts turning black, and my gas mileage drops noticeably, then I know its time to change the oil. Usually between 4 - 5k miles.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I live in the hell AKA AZ in the summertime. Thats why I change it more often....I do 5k b/c well it says clean 5000 on the jug lol. And its a 248k mile DD that I don't care as much about as my H22.

As for my other CB7, I burn through more oil in my H22 before I even reach 3k miles anyways lol, so by the time I get there I already have added like 2 qts of fresh oil.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by AndyD View Post

Made me laugh!

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                          UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                          NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

SOME OF THE RESPONSES in this thread make me wonder.. i am blown away by how people don't want to keep their motor clean and running strong

here is a dyno of my f22a1 with 186000 miles on it made 119.98 whp and 129.88 wtq on a stock block and head with a6 intake manifold w/ functioning IAB'S and a4 header.

if you relate it to taking a shower yes you can go without cleaning yourself but is it safe(bad skin or infections) or correct no.
                            ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by euraphex View Post
                              I have seen a motor fail due to not changing the oil. It was a Mitsubishi Eclipse and this guy just bought it and brought it to have the oil changed(I worked at a lube shop at the time). Well we noticed the oil was nasty and when I went to take the plug out no oil came out. I got a screw driver and stuck it in the drain hole. Lots of sludge started coming out. So the guy wanted to do a engine flush well after 4 flushes the oil was clean but had a loud knock. The sludge will build up over extened use of nasty oil and when it comes out stuff will go with it.
                              For a grandma who never revs above 3K or does more than 1/3 throttle, 10K miles between oil changes is fine.

But for the avg CB7tuner... 20 year old engine blocks/heads/bearings/valve seals/rings... redline shifts... full throttle romps... mods... 3K is prob in everyone's best interests.

However, sludge comes up after like... 30 thousand miles w/no oil changes. A CB7 will prob burn or leak all its oil before getting to that point.
                              Last edited by gloryaccordy; 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X