Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Before i Blow my Engine

ive posted before and got a few replays but not what i need

my radiator fans come on when ever they want, even when the motor is stone cold, draining my battery the problem is i unplug the fan relay and replug the it ever time i park it and drive it, the problem is i forget some times to plug it up

my plan is to run both of the fans via a power source while the ignition is on, the problem is i need to know where i can wire this thing in, i want to wire it in the fuse box under the hood.

the problem is i need to know where and which wire to do this on

please help as this car is my only transportation and i love her to death, and would hate to end up with a blown engine
    -----------------------------------------------

''It is what it is, Do what you want''
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167905

I think you should focus first on just fixing the system as it's designed, not working outside the box--make sure the temperature sensor for the fan relay works, and make sure the fan relay works.

If that doesn't fix your problem then something really weird is going on.

You are unlikely to blow your engine from the fan coming on erratically, as long as you keep an eye on your temp gauge and it doesn't get elevated. Worst that's going to happen is you are going to drain your battery. then when you take a short cut and go to fast charge it and leave the negative terminal on the battery instead of taking it off you might blow some diodes in your alternator. So yeah, worth fixing.

Hang something on your steering wheel when you park it to remind you to re-plug the fan relay.

If you are gonna bypass the fan relay instead of fixing the system so it works right, just jumper around the fan relay to the same wire it's on. But I'm guessing your radiator fan will run continuously if you do that.

wiring diagrams to follow tomorrow, as soon as my cellphone is in wireless range etc.

BTW, what did you do with your clutch, gas, and brake pedals--it looks interesting. Is that a setup to allow easier heel-toe downshifting?
    Last edited by batever; 07-14-2011, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I won't be able to get those diagrams out today....computer issues.

I think what you have going on might be a temperature switch failure, either the A switch or the B switch. The B is supposed to switch on at coolant temp over 223F, and the A is supposed to come on around 190F or so, or so I recall....if they are failing in a way that they switch on at room temp haphazardly then that would do it and cause the fan to come on with the car off and dead cold.

Other culprits would be a hincky fan control unit or just bad connections.

Comment

If you are gonna just bypass everything, i would think you would just run a fuse tap lead into the fuse blades of a circuit that is "on" when the car is on and to the fan. If you get it wrong and blow a fuse, just replace with a slightly larger fuse or try another circuit--no need to mess with any original wiring at all.
        Last edited by batever; 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Test your temp switches. One at the water outlet and one at the thermostat. Test the temperature sensor under the dizzy.
          It really sounds like the fan timer is bad though.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

why dont you just hook up the fans directly to the battery and make a switch. turn them on and off whenever you want

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Working...
            X