Manual Transmission Seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Transmission Seized

It's a 91 accord dx f22b dohc, with the stock accord transmission.

last week tuesday, my transmission seized in the middle of the road. i couldn't go into any gear with the car on and clutch down or with the car off. the car rolled in neutral, but with a lot of resistance. i usually could push the car myself, but it took myself and guy a lot of effort to roll it a short distance to the side of the road. i got it towed, and let it sit until today.

with the car off and on the ground, some gears i was totally locked out of. others i could force it in. i jacked the car up, started it up and i could hear a sound like things rubbing together. i was able to put the car in each gear with more effort on some gears and less on others.

i was figuring that i'd just get a new used transmission, a new clutch, and flywheel and just keep it moving.

things that i thought it could be prior to today are lack of lubrication and things just got seized or bent fork. that rubbing noise i heard today troubled me though. could it be a broken clutch disk? or maybe broken flywheel fingers? i check the shifter cables and they are in very good condition.

any insight is helpful, i just wanted to throw some ideas around before i took the transmission off...

I'm just throwing out an idea but maybe your shifter linkages are siezed? take the center counsel and boot off and try oiling those linkages with some penetrating oil and see if that helps.
    There is always noise in the tranny but you've probably never listened for it, and either of the linkages being unable to move one way or another could cause you trouble getting the car into gear
    Being normal is probably the lamest thing you can try to be

Comment

It's prob one of your clutch cylinders man. Either that or your clutch. Don't go getting a new tranny just yet, as once you remove that case you will be a silly goose if you don't change the clutch while you're in there, and it would be goofy to buy a new tranny and find out the problem was just your clutch.

I had a CB on which the springs ont he clutch had popped out from abuse... and also had popped shift cables. Replaced the clutch and the cables, trans shifted like a dream. Def find out first if its the cylinders, and if not those then the clutch, and if not that THEN the transmission.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Kboers View Post
        I'm just throwing out an idea but maybe your shifter linkages are siezed? take the center counsel and boot off and try oiling those linkages with some penetrating oil and see if that helps.
        There is always noise in the tranny but you've probably never listened for it, and either of the linkages being unable to move one way or another could cause you trouble getting the car into gear
        i checked the shift cables and they're in good shape.

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
        It's prob one of your clutch cylinders man. Either that or your clutch. Don't go getting a new tranny just yet, as once you remove that case you will be a silly goose if you don't change the clutch while you're in there, and it would be goofy to buy a new tranny and find out the problem was just your clutch.

I had a CB on which the springs ont he clutch had popped out from abuse... and also had popped shift cables. Replaced the clutch and the cables, trans shifted like a dream. Def find out first if its the cylinders, and if not those then the clutch, and if not that THEN the transmission.
        tomorrow i'm actually going to tear it down. i just want an idea of what i'm looking for, so thanks.

it locked up hard. it was almost as if i had stomped on the brakes. tires screeched and everything.
        Last edited by jdmwannabee; 06-20-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

yeah I wouldn't go buying parts until you've surveyed the entire situation with the transmission off the car and can visually inspect all the moving pieces...could be that the clutch disc shattered and lodged itself into a wedge like position locking the trans in place

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Damn didn't realize it seized seized

But it might be something unrelated to the tranny.... does the motor start... I have blown engines and when that happens the car tends to not move in gear

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              yeah I wouldn't go buying parts until you've surveyed the entire situation with the transmission off the car and can visually inspect all the moving pieces...could be that the clutch disc shattered and lodged itself into a wedge like position locking the trans in place
              yeah i thought that too...

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
              Damn didn't realize it seized seized

But it might be something unrelated to the tranny.... does the motor start... I have blown engines and when that happens the car tends to not move in gear
              yeah the motor starts all day everyday..

wish me luck fellas

Comment

i started out the day optimistic. i was hoping that the clutch disk would fall out in a million pieces, after unbolting the transmission and the pressure plate. yeah, didn't go that way. it's in normal beat to shit condition so i'm on the hunt for a transmission.

for shits, giggles, and grossness here's what's left of a cat i hit a few weeks back...

Comment

Is that cat...... on your cat?

Can you cycle the gears now that it's out of the car?

Comment

flame resistant cat....badass! sorry about the tranny.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by coupes View Post
                      Is that cat...... on your cat?

Can you cycle the gears now that it's out of the car?
                      lol... yup cat on my cat

now that it's out. i can't cycle through them all. it'll get stuck in some gears still.

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      flame resistant cat....badass! sorry about the tranny.
                      it's all good. i just need to find another one, hopefully the one i get won't grind.

Comment

i had this happen to me... driving down the road on a turn and tires locked and slid off, could not move shifter, after a little pulling i got it to pop to neutral... except the transmission was still locked, and shifter couldn't go into any gear. tow truck had to drag car out with front tires locked then pick up the front end.

when i went to the shop to pick it up they handed me parts of gears siezed together... and said they fell out of the hole in the transmission when they were removing it from the car.

i was young just got the car and had no knowledge of mechanical systems... that started my quest to learn about cars... and to pay attention to small leaks under the car (transmission fluid)
                        Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

aside from popping off the transfer case and inspecting the gears and the synchros, are there ways to inspect a used transmission,, "in the field", that anybody knows of?

Comment

Trans fluid is super important. My 2nd Maxima lost 1st & 2nd gear cause my mechanic and I were too lazy to top it off after an unreasonably tough axle swap. Wound up replacing the trans (for free thanks to my mechanic)

It was really fucked up cause it worked sometimes, but not all the time. Like 1st and 2nd gear would randomly cut out, which was not good in stop n go NYC

Comment

should be able to freely spin, and you should be able to shift through all the gears, after each gear spin the input shaft and make sure that its not bound in any gears,

on a really bad transmission (over 300K) you could hear the bearing noise when spining the transmission by hand, but it took rebuilding it before it was clear how bad the bearing noise was.
                              Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Working...
                              X