Choosing the damn ATF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing the damn ATF...

My 92 Accord is in need an ATF change soon, but I am so f-ing confused over what ATF to use. I have been using Maxlife Syn-Blend in my AT for the last 2 years, though I only changed what was in the pan, and the people who owned it before me were cheap f%^&s so who knows what else is in there. I want to put the best in my car, but at the same time the thing is super old and who knows how long it will be around for, and a full synthetic in a 19 yr old A/T...smart idea? I'm on the fence 20$ for 5 quarts of Maxlife or go all the way and spend almost 2- 3 times that on DW1 (9$ a quart where i live)? Someone says doesn't matter what ATF, and another says only OE fluid or you will eventually kill the tranny...

Can someone help me settle this...
    Last edited by mr_cb7; 06-14-2011, 03:01 AM.

1992 Accord LX 4-Door Automatic 360000+KM Mileage

"If it speaks Swedish and it needs work, it's going to be expensive."

Who ever is saying that oem fluid is going to kill the tranny is an idiot. But its possible that they did a 100% fluid change with oem and it killed their fluid, thats because they used their old fluid for so long. Then after the new stuff went in it went downhill from there.

Personally, I use valvoline maxlife Dextron III(the red bottle is good to). I Never had issues regardless what people said. It lasted me to 280k, it finally failed because I decided to go offroad in the honda =).

But if you are thinking of going with synthetic, might as well go with OEM ATF. You wont go wrong.

Usually if the fluid hasnt been changed for a while and you are just going to do a drain and fill, a few changes over a period of time will get you new the most new fluid without shocking the transmission (open to debate).

Just do a drain and fill, thats about 3 or 4 quarts, then do another one in a few months. Then another.

Me personally after 1 drain and fill I finally decided to do a complete flush by disconnecting one transmission line into a bucket.

If you want to look up good ATF fluids, amsoil is great I hear, but it hurts the wallet.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      Who ever is saying that oem fluid is going to kill the tranny is an idiot.
      I heard from some If you don't use OE Fluid you will hurt it.

Personally, I use valvoline maxlife Dextron III(the red bottle is good to). I Never had issues regardless what people said
      I'm using Maxlife Dex/Merc Syn-Blend ATF right now. my tranny has 1/3 Maxlife Dex/Merc syn-Blend and 2/3 unknown from previous owner

1992 Accord LX 4-Door Automatic 360000+KM Mileage

"If it speaks Swedish and it needs work, it's going to be expensive."

Comment

I did a fresh F22 transmission replacement on mine. I heard many things that Honda ATF will make your transmission respond how it should and will most likely last longer. Other fluids will make the transmission shift late or something like that. Even thought it cost me 9 bucks per quart it was worth it. You will only need 3 quarts if you want to drain and refill.
        MY MRT
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178936

Comment

Please do not delete your threads once you have gotten your answer.

Comment

Working...
          X