Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to narrow down engine/idle/performance problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to narrow down engine/idle/performance problem.

I recently put my car on the road. Much more convenient for that 9:00 am class.

Now, I recently gave her a quick, not full tune-up. Fresh NGKs, oil, oil filter, PCV, new air filter. The rest will follow soon (new NGK or Denso wires, fuel filter, O2 sensor, and maybe cap and rotor). Still have funds set aside for my H; .

Problems. First I'm getting horrible gas mileage (like 12 mpg's or so). Second, the spark plug wires I have may pose additional problems due to cylinder 4 wire constantly jumping off of top of the spark plug (could be attributable to the mpg problem).

After half-a-tune it seems as engine power is now cut in half from power state before slight tune-up. Most times she feels sluggish, but one in a while she takes off. She bogs until about 1500 rpms, and then feels normal. I'm lost as to why this would happen; the power loss?

** Major concerns. She drive like mentioned above for the first 15-20 minutes of driving. Then she revs at about 1500-2500 at idle after the 15-20 minutes. I know to look at the FITV and the TPS; any other ideas?
    Last edited by Straight Success; 03-30-2011, 02:43 AM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Did you wire the dizzy right? 1342
    NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
    DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

The dizzy is wired correctly. The car runs fine for about 15-20 minutes. then it starts to run horrible after that.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I've been trying to trouble shoot while driving.

Updates.

Spark plug wires are fine. The little black box near the battery with the gray male plug attached to it keeps ticking and making weird noises. In addition it was a little rainy out today, and when I started it up and drove, it was idling at about 300-400 rpms. Even cut off once. Now it seems as if gas mileage is down to 10 mpg city, WTF.

I need to fix this to make it to the summer, because I don't want to start dipping into my swap money for gas every couple of days and miscellaneous B.S..

I'm going to adjust my idle valve. We'll see if that makes a difference.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

did you clean the egr and iacv

Comment

Originally posted by illestatus View Post
            did you clean the egr and iacv
            Doing that soon as I get free time (Friday/today hopefully). I read about it before I made this thread. Didn't get around to it yet.

I appreciate the reply, as this is what I need. More ideas of things to trouble shoot.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I'd say your timing is off. Do you have a timing light you can check it with? And you seem to be building up way too much pressure if it pops the sparkplug wire off the head like that.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                I'd say your timing is off. Do you have a timing light you can check it with? And you seem to be building up way too much pressure if it pops the sparkplug wire off the head like that.
                I have a timing light somewhere. I don't thinks it's the timing, but I can double check (power is there, just not as strong as I would imaging it to be through the RPM's). Definitely need to clean the EGR as I'm sure the previous owner neglected that aspect of the car as well as other stuff I'm noticing. Also, I'm going to adjust the IACV and take a peek at the FITV as they might be posing problems as well. This damn weather is holding me up.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                X