Cold Start Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Start Problem

-in mornings car takes 2-3 secs of cranking to turn over. after turn over, car idling, if i press the gas the RPMs rise like normal but then fall really fast to the point of almost stalling... sometimes it does stall.

-Also car is 5 spd and when changing gears the RPMs hesitate (sometimes rises a few 100rpms depending how much throttle) for a lil while and then fall.

for more details on my problem read the bottom.

Well in the morning when i start up my car it takes a while to turn over... about 2-3 secs to turn over. Once it turns over if i hit the gas pedal a little bit the RPMs will go up and then drop super fast to the point of almost stalling. sometimes it stalls out but it usually picks up speed after dropping. i usually wait about 10 secs before i touch the gas pedal for this to stop and run normal. also my car is 5 spd so after it is at normal operating temperature if i were to put it in 5th gear and put it at wide open throttle and then release the the gas pedal and at the same time press the clutch (clutch neutral status) the RPMs will jump up about 500 RPMs then fall back to idle. even when changing gears in normal driving the RPMs hesitate then fall until i go into the next gear. Im thinking this hesitation problem is from the TPS (throttle position sensor) but dont kno how to check it. usually when cars decelerate little to no fuel goes in right? so im assuming that car still thinks the throttle is open and dumps fuel in anyway for a little while then realizes its not open anymore. kno what i mean? for the cold start problem i think it is a fuel system problem but dont know what to check. help me out guys! car runs good other than these problems but they just irritate me.

ive also noticed after switching out my stock fly for a 12 lb act fly my revs didnt fall any faster than stock. as for rising i cant remember.
    Last edited by SenseiAccord; 02-24-2005, 07:33 AM.

Well, there are many possibilities here. Idle speed, ignition timing, dirty IAC valve, fuel filter, and yes, even clogged EGR ports. Try giving it a good tune-up and covering the items I listed, it should run alot better. I seriously doubt its a bad TPS being as I have never seen one go bad before.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
      Well, there are many possibilities here. Idle speed, ignition timing, dirty IAC valve, fuel filter, and yes, even clogged EGR ports. Try giving it a good tune-up and covering the items I listed, it should run alot better. I seriously doubt its a bad TPS being as I have never seen one go bad before.
      I already adjusted idle speed, ignition, and cleaned IAC valve. i suspected those things but never thought about the filter. well its time for a change so i might as well do it anyway. well i already did a tune up on my car pretty much so thats out of the question. i was suspecting maybe fuel regulator for the RPM hesitation.

Comment

we have been having kinda cold weather in the morning recently..

i don't know much, but bumping for you.. and my guess is, it has somethign to do w/ fuel.

so are you saying when your clutched in and brake the RPMS are moving up and low??

good luck..
        hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by FishyMan
          we have been having kinda cold weather in the morning recently..

i don't know much, but bumping for you.. and my guess is, it has somethign to do w/ fuel.

so are you saying when your clutched in and brake the RPMS are moving up and low??

good luck..
          no no.. it is when im driving. when i my car is under any kind of load and i let go off the gas and push the clutch in to change gears the RPMs hesitate, mostly rises a few 100 RPMs then falls rather than just falling.

k for instance... im driving in 2nd gear running 2500 RPMs... as i shift to 3rd i let go of the gas and push the clutch in... as im doing that the RPMs rise too 2700 RPMs and then falls to idle. my foot is off the gas pedal so it cant be me. i am suspecting a fuel problem as well. its like my car is a slow thinker and realizes im not stepping on the gas pedal till a few secs later. thats why i first suspected the TPS (throttle position sensor)
          Last edited by SenseiAccord; 03-01-2005, 04:48 AM.

Comment

tune up time!

load issues can be sparks, distribitor, wires, fuel filter

do a tune up, you will do good for your car.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

ok changed out fuel filter and problem still remains.

anybody agrees with me that it might be fuel pressure regulator or TPS? if not opinions PLEASE!!!

Comment

dude ur overlooking things...just check the sparks and stuff...

perhaps battery can be low on power, or low on water..

does it always take that long to start up, or only in the morning?
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                  dude ur overlooking things...just check the sparks and stuff...

perhaps battery can be low on power, or low on water..

does it always take that long to start up, or only in the morning?
                  i dont think spark plugs can cause loading issues. anyway yea i just checked them since i did my valve cover gasket and valve adjustment today. they are all fine. distributor cap has been changed, spark plug wires and spark plugs changed, fuel filter changed, EGR port cleaned, PCV port cleaned, idle speed is correct, ignition timing correct, battery water fine, clutch changed, flywheel changed. IAC valve also has been cleaned when i first attempted to fix it but the problem still remained. also thought the battery was discharged a little bit so i had it tested measuring voltage and putting loads on the batter and it came out good. Bought the car used so dont kno when it first started doing this. Just didnt irritate me till about 4 months agos.

it is only in the mornings (engine cold) it takes long to start up. Never tried starting it at noon with engine cold so dont know if it is actually the weather causing this. Keep in mind that when i first start it in the morning, if i put a little throttle the engine sometimes dies but most of the time falls below reg. idle speed (falls to 500rpm) then rises back to normal idle speed. after about maybe 10 secs of warming up after start it doesnt do this. that is why im assuming this is linked to my other problem i have to the fuel system. anybody elses Accord does/did this?

Comment

starter valve?

the starter valve lets in a bit more air to help start the car, and you usuallypress the gas to get it going, which may just let in more air...

so check that for funtionality.

but as for sparks not affecting the cars performance under load is totally not correct, if you stomp on the gas and you get nothing for a sec it can be spark related...but at least you changed em.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

starter valve?

the starter valve lets in a bit more air to help start the car, and you usuallypress the gas to get it going, which may just let in more air...

so check that for funtionality.

but as for sparks not affecting the cars performance under load is totally not correct, if you stomp on the gas and you get nothing for a sec it can be spark related...but at least you changed em.
                      yea i was just told from my unrelated uncle about the starter valve or the IAC could be the problem. it sounded kinda correct. just another crap to fix. by the way how do you check it to see if its working properly? checking the connectors voltage?

i understand up that the spark plug can affect the load on an engine like that (weak spark) but it is pretty much impossible to be a spark problem in my situation. thanks for the advice tho. its sure better than not getting any help at all.

Comment

i forgot how to test the starter valve exactly...it has a vacumn line that connects to the intake tube right before the throttle body if you dont know where it is

id just say go to a junkyard, grab one, and put it in your pocket and try it out.

saves money that way =)

but i dont think the IAC would be the cause of your issues...

you replaced your distribitor rotor?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

i forgot how to test the starter valve exactly...it has a vacumn line that connects to the intake tube right before the throttle body if you dont know where it is

id just say go to a junkyard, grab one, and put it in your pocket and try it out.

saves money that way =)

but i dont think the IAC would be the cause of your issues...

you replaced your distribitor rotor?
                          nahh i shouldve done it when i put in my MSD. i was thinking that too but the rotor looked fine to me. but if it was the rotor then wouldnt it be doing this all day? it only does this when its sitting for a while 10 secs after starting it. lately ive been waiting for the fuel system to pressurize then i start it (waiting like 2 secs). Before i just used to just start it right away but every other car i driven doesnt need to do that and i work at a gas station which fixes cars. yea u must be wondering why dont i ask them but they are usually fixing a car so i dont have the chance to ask. i asked my boss and he said its probably the idle control but yea nobody got to see it for themselves or test it. after work they go home and im always working so i dont have a chance. anyway lately its been slow so ill try ask them.

Comment

Working...
                          X