Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front end collision, Need help with repairs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres the crash

heres the aftermath it basically bent the top of the bulkhead back towards the headers.

i just want to make it look normal again

Comment

You can buy the entire radiator support. You'll have to weld the one into place- Best option

Or

you try and straighten it out yourself with a wench and a tree.. , Seriously though i got into a front end collision myself and a friend and myself pulled it back out. The support was up against the battery. Not anymore !

good luck with whatever you decide. i know its a sucky ass feeling

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

can sumone point out the general location of the spot welds on the picture i posted?

Comment

Remove everything. Get a nice 2x4 that fits being the headlights(from one side to the other). Drill holes and attach bolt(or something to hook a chain/strap/anything) to it. Hook it up to a tree and reverse untill it looks normal.

Bending it back in the reversal of the accident will give you the best results.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

will my car run being that the radiator is smashed into the headers?

Comment

im sorry, not trying to be a dick, but how much mechanical experience/knowledge of cars do you have?

Will it run just enough to reverse it from that tree, as long as you dont have it running too long it should be fine. If you're worried that it will overheat, you can make the car stationarry, and attach it to something else that moves(like a pickup-truck, forklift, etc...) Something heavy duty that wont be impacted by the pull

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

Comment

Originally posted by life_shift View Post
                can sumone point out the general location of the spot welds on the picture i posted?
                Dude....... there's probably in the neighborhood of 50 spot welds.... maybe a little more maybe less....... everywhere two different panels meet you'll find them. Go out and look, especially on the left and right sides. There are little dimpled areas where the metal was basically melted to the piece behind it.......

Comment

i used a pull winch like this

and a hammer for a 96 accord i fix/sold. had the same damage

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079 View Post
                    im sorry, not trying to be a dick, but how much mechanical experience/knowledge of cars do you have?

Will it run just enough to reverse it from that tree, as long as you dont have it running too long it should be fine. If you're worried that it will overheat, you can make the car stationarry, and attach it to something else that moves(like a pickup-truck, forklift, etc...) Something heavy duty that wont be impacted by the pull
                    Close to no experience. Ive only been working on cars for a few months. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I dont have too many friends that are in to cars either so most the work I have done has been on my own. I make mistakes and I learn from them and I dont repeat them.

Comment

Originally posted by 809king View Post
                      i used a pull winch like this

and a hammer for a 96 accord i fix/sold. had the same damage
                      Yeah i pulled it a little today with a tire iron, its definitely going to be pulled instead of removed.

Comment

i had the pretty much exact same damage done to mine before i bought it.

check out my mrt:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158193

the pics only show where i done one side (i've since replaced the entire thing) but all the holes you see in the front were where the spot welds are. once you get the bumper and lights off look at your core support and you'll see the spot welds, there's alot of 'em. I drilled them out the painstakingly, time consuming way with just a few regular drill bits a little bit bigger than the welds and a drill. they make spot weld removing bits and are probably a million times better since they're meant for that purpose. i grabbed a whole core support from the jy and did mine. it wasn't hard, just a major pain in the ass.
                        We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
                        Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Here is a radiator support. http://www.*********.com/gbproducts/...**+Google+Base

Pretty good for $43!

You likely CAN just bend it back to close. However I'd say it'll never look right unless you replace it, thus taking it back to perfect.

Not one person could give you EXACT locations of each weld. Especially not each parts, welds. Your best bet is to find each weld manually. This part is also structural! Meaning as soon as the second to last weld is popped, your car will spread it's fenders. It's vital you get the new one in the exact location as the old one.

Mine is mildly bent as well, and leaves the grill and passenger headlight a bit crooked. (I just bought it) My plan is to replace it, but not until more vital things are done.
                          Last edited by Vancefish; 02-21-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vancefish View Post
                            You likely CAN just bend it back to close. However I'd say it'll never look right unless you replace it, thus taking it back to perfect.
                            This. pretty much allof my cb's had front end damage(actually all) and even though I have thought of replacing it, its just too much work.

Comment

Sorry to hear dude! I did the same thing last winter. Its really not that hard. A new rad support goes for $110 at Carquest. Buy a new one. Yours is beyond straightening. Its a structural peice of the car.

Here is the thread I made to show off most of the stuff I did to fix it.
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157959

That should give you a pretty good idea. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

Comment

I think the question should be:Lift Shift, how much money do you plan/want to spend on fixing this?

Comment

Working...
                                X