SOHC block DOHC head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOHC block DOHC head...

Been pondering about this for the past two days now.So my questions are what can i use from my b1 such as ECU,dizzy,IM,Exh mani will all that work?If so lmk if not lmk whats needed.Also Whats the pros an cons with this set up?And what timing belts needed?
    F22b1 with an h22 head or a h23 head....
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 12-06-2010, 01:06 AM.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

the f22b1 sohc vtec?
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
      the f22b1 sohc vtec?
      Yes sir thats the one....

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

Ik my ecu will be off vtec engagement wise but not a big issue.Main concern is will my Dizzy and intake mani work...Also im pretty sure id need to get a h22 or 23 header reguardless.Questions being asked what is pros and cons and if i went h23 what can i run since ppl use the h23 IM on F series could it be done easier/cheaper than a h22?Basicly is the h23 going to be able to use parts i already have?same questions for the h22 head aswell.

Ive heard ppl like the head swaps...Then some that dont?

Reason for this idea is if i can use everything but a header.It would be cheaper than a cam upgrade and p&p on my stock head in which i would do a new HG,WP, and timing belt anyway.And just FYI engine is very healthy no issues really needs nothing at this time.So with that being said its good to go upgrade wise.

H23
        can i use stock dizzy,IM, and exh mani?
        What HG to use,timing belt, and water pump?
        pros and cons....?
        H22
        Same questions....

02 Crv

Comment

ok. here we go. this is like the 15th thread about this. and maybe you should have searched before you waisted a whole thread. not only that but rethink your idea of cool, due to the fact that it is the most worthless motor set up in the history of engine building.

it is called the g22 or g23. it is almost the same as the civic dudes how they do their Frankenstein "mini me". notice in the alphabet a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z. g is between f and h? f22...g22...h22. A h22 or h23 head on top of a f22 block, it is our hybrid motor. when swapping the head, the combo will drop your compression to 8.4, which is even more sarcastically stupid. here is a link if your REALLY that determined to have a motor last 1 year and then die with out repair. ALSO just in case, you still think its something you want here is one of our thread you can chime in on.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...dge/index.html

OUR THREAD.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&highlight=g22

do your self a favor and get out of the idea of a g22 or g23. get a f22Ax sohc or f22b dohc, you will have more fun, money, time, respect, wisdom, women. just a better life all around. good luck on your ideas.

Comment

Dude first of all, your ECU will not only be OFF vtec engagement wise.. Everything will be OFF, your fuel and ignition map will be way off... far from ideal. You will need engine management and a dyno tune. That alone is $500-1000 bucks right there if you want to do it right.

Also, there is info about this all over the internet. There is no way you can use a F22B1 header on that frank.

This frankenstein will be worthless unless you boost it. But you are looking at a pretty unreliable setup overall.

Comment

oh man i didnt even think about the money, what you really need to do is contact a member/mod named lowdollarLx. he has the only slightly functional g swap. ask him how much he spent. then ask your self if you want to go through with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                it is called the g22 or g23.
                Actually, the G series is a 5 cylinder engine found in the Inspire/Vigor/2.5TL. It has nothing to do with the H or F series.

These hybrids are notoriously unreliable, especially in the hands of a beginner. MOST of them blow up.

The SOHC F series blocks are not designed to rev as high as the H22, and the compression is considerably lower. You would end up with a neutered mockery of an H22 by doing this swap. Furthermore, the bore size is different, which means you'd have an area of overlap. A sharp edge that will be a convenient hotspot, and a source of detonation.

The F22B1 parts will not work properly. If you can even get the engine to run with any of them, you'd be risking damage. You'd need a custom tune, as mentioned above. Any parts that are attached to the head must be from the same motor as that head.

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                oh man i didnt even think about the money, what you really need to do is contact a member/mod named lowdollarLx. he has the only slightly functional g swap. ask him how much he spent. then ask your self if you want to go through with it.
                lodollar92lx has his motor fully built. His block is sleeved and bored so that the cylinder bores and combustion chambers are the same diameter. His internals are all upgraded forged pieces, made to withstand the abuse. He is also a professional mechanic, that operates his own shop. He has considerable experience with unique builds.

wikkedv16 and PR CB7 have also built these hybrid motors with some success... they both swear by them. The both have also blown up their fair share of them.

Comment

might as well save and get the h. way cheaper in the long run

Comment

Thanks for the info Deev guess its not such a great idea.Just questions guys no need to get you panties in a wad ive heard about the swap just wanted to clear things up for me.And a mini me isnt a dohc on a sohc its just a vtec single head on a non vtec single block such as a d16a6 with a d16z6 head these F series are nothing a like d series which are much cheaper.Only reason for my pondering is im losing interests in the cb.Thanks again /Thread.

02 Crv

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Actually, the G series is a 5 cylinder engine found in the Inspire/Vigor/2.5TL. It has nothing to do with the H or F series.

These hybrids are notoriously unreliable, especially in the hands of a beginner. MOST of them blow up.

The SOHC F series blocks are not designed to rev as high as the H22, and the compression is considerably lower. You would end up with a neutered mockery of an H22 by doing this swap. Furthermore, the bore size is different, which means you'd have an area of overlap. A sharp edge that will be a convenient hotspot, and a source of detonation.

The F22B1 parts will not work properly. If you can even get the engine to run with any of them, you'd be risking damage. You'd need a custom tune, as mentioned above. Any parts that are attached to the head must be from the same motor as that head.

lodollar92lx has his motor fully built. His block is sleeved and bored so that the cylinder bores and combustion chambers are the same diameter. His internals are all upgraded forged pieces, made to withstand the abuse. He is also a professional mechanic, that operates his own shop. He has considerable experience with unique builds.

wikkedv16 and PR CB7 have also built these hybrid motors with some success... they both swear by them. The both have also blown up their fair share of them.

stop saying that though.. the fact that me and oscar have blown them up is fine.. say that all you want.. but please be sure to state the reasons for the failures..

mines are mostly due to over-revving them.. taking them out of their boundaries..

and oscars im sure are similar..

take a f22a sohc to 7500-7800revs for 2yrs and see what happens.. especially if the bottom end was never touched or refreshed..

dont say that the hybrids are unreliable.... the reliability of them is within the build.. or maintenance.. whichever way you go..

a delta cam/i/h/e tuned ecu setup.. will suffer the same faite if abused on a regular basis..

so the principals are the same.. maintain them.. and they will last..

if you plan to rev higher.. modifications need to be made.. weither sohc..dohc.. or hybrid.. all the same rules and regulations are there..

you've been saying alot lately that their unreliable, and thats not the case..

do a headswap.. and keep the stock sohc rev limiter.. and it will last for however long that block was gonna last for with the sohc head..

now.. extend that rev limit.. and you shorten your life expectancy of the block.. significally if its done more often...

bottom line..

hybrids = reliable (dependant on condition of shortblock used..)
                      hybrids = reliable when stock rev limits are utilized

hybrids = NOT reliable when revved past the shortblocks intented rpm (without making upgrades)
                      hybrids = NOT reliable when abused and ragged out because "you just made a new motor"... no jackass.. you slapped a different head on your same tired block.."

/rant

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

lol bottom line here is, if you want it do it. MAKE SURE you know how to take care of it and have the money for it plus the know how.

truthfully i would tell you to go with an f22ax THEY will treat you better in the long run with both reliability and horse power.

yes out of the box the h22 has more hp. and a BIT more Tq.
                        how ever as in the way of boost or n/a the money you spend to mod your h22 you will get more out of the f22.

Comment

Carlos... you just said it.
                          When you take a hybrid and treat it like an H22 (ie. revving to 7500rpm, where the head makes power... at least with H22 compression...) you WILL blow something up.

There are no benefits to such a hybrid. You can't rev them high enough to make power, and you don't have the necessary compression to make the proper power. Furthermore, the overlap due to the difference in bore size will provide hotspots for detonation. If you build everything to compensate for that, as lodollar92lx did, then you eliminate any cost benefit of building such a motor.

Not to mention, when doing this, a beginner is touching LOTS of things that they have no experience with. That alone brings a considerable risk in terms of reliability.
                          I could tell you right now, if I tried to build an H/F hybrid, it wouldn't make it to next July.

Guys like you and Oscar can prove me wrong about the reliability, due to your experience and knowledge. Until a noob can do the same, they should not be building one and expecting it to last.

And no matter what anyone says... it's not a freakin G series.

Comment

what if i call it a g series?
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

You'd be wrong.

If I put a B16 head on a D15 block, would I be making a C series?

Comment

Working...
                              X