Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car won't start and I've run out of ideas, Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't start and I've run out of ideas, Please help!

I was cruising down the highway last week when all of a sudden I notice the tach just drop like a stone from 3000 to zero, but the weird part was none of the indicator lights on the dash came on to let me know that the engine had in fact died. After seeing that it took a few seconds to realize that I was just coasting I barely even felt the engine go. Earlier in the day when I was backing out of a parking spot the engine stuttered for a few seconds then went away as well. Anyway now the engine just turns over but doesn't catch at all.

+the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor were changed 5 months ago

I checked the following:

Plugs=no spark
    Wires=fine
    Distri Cap=Fine no oil residue or burn marks
    Rotor= Fine

Put key in ignition turn to on position check engine light comes on then goes off 3 seconds later with a click sound, and I hear the fuel pump come on so the main relay is working.

Ignition Coil=Checked resistance with an ohmmeter and compared results with haynes manual was a little low so I swapped out with a used one from a working CB7 and it still won't start and there is no spark.

Where should I check next? Ignitor in the back of the distributor housing?

any ides are greatly appreciated guys!

1992 Accord LX 4-Door Automatic 360000+KM Mileage

"If it speaks Swedish and it needs work, it's going to be expensive."

Just to be on the safe side....

Check your timing belt. My snapped and it did exactly what yours did.
    1993 Accord LX *Under construction*
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=162083 <---MRT

Comment

Checked it, not the timing belt...
      Last edited by mr_cb7; 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

My hatch did the same thing. Had to replace the whole distributor assembly. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks I think I'm going to try to find a used distributor housing with a working ICM next and see if that fixes it.

Comment

could be the ignitor? stupid little thing inside the dizzy that goes bad sometimes. i have a spare.. where in queerbec are you?

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Hey Steve thats actually the next thing I was going to check, the ICM, I live in the West Island. I'm actually going to check out a complete distributor a guy in Kirkland took off of a working 92 LX and is selling for 30$. If it looks to be in working order I'll buy it, but if not and your in the mtl area name your price

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
                could be the ignitor? stupid little thing inside the dizzy that goes bad sometimes. i have a spare.. where in queerbec are you?

im glad someone said this. Most people replace the whole distribitor which is fine but not worht the money.

The ignitor recieves a signal from the crank sensor and tells the coil to fire, so if the coil tests good, you have to find out of the unit that tells the coil to fire is good.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I took the distributor housing off is there supposed to be some oil that spills out from where the shaft of the distributor goes into the head? and is there a gasket that should be changed while it is off?

Comment

just the o ring on the dizzy snout, easy to change.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

check the ignition switch behind the key tumbler. u might have the same problem i did last year. i was suprised and you might be too.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_cb7 View Post
                        Hey Steve thats actually the next thing I was going to check, the ICM, I live in the West Island. I'm actually going to check out a complete distributor a guy in Kirkland took off of a working 92 LX and is selling for 30$. If it looks to be in working order I'll buy it, but if not and your in the mtl area name your price

Thanks for the help!
                        no problem. im not as knowledgeable as some members on this site but i will admit i know more about electrical than mechanical stuff.

ps. i'm in chateauguay, but i work on-island every day.. i have 2 jobs, one in westmount and one on the 40 near the ikea.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Working...
                        X