Oil light issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil light issues...

Ok since CB7tuner is up i have a question....Ok well its frezzing cold where i live.When i first got the car she was a mess i have since fixed all of the issues but b4 i parked her my oil light would flicker on for a few secs maybe 5 at most and i could put it in gear and it go away....Since then its gotten freaking cold and even snowed friday i did a full coolant flush and stat change because PO had straight water in her.Anyway started her up and the oil light starts flickering i expect it to stop.Well it doesnt then it starts a steady flicker flick flick flick like when jumping for cels its a solid flick this time.Well turned the key off and back on real quick lights flickers a lil not solid but still flickering i put her thru all the gears give her a quick rev to 3k and its gone.Any ideas?Oil pump?sending unit connection?The cold weather?Any and all ideas would be great.Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

sounds like a connection issue. if the oil light stays on, you'd probably begin to hear engine noise.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
      sounds like a connection issue. if the oil light stays on, you'd probably begin to hear engine noise.
      What i was thinking/hoping lol.Dont have the money for an oil pump at this moment.And the engine pures like a kitten just changed the coolant and stat and let it run for damn near 2hours to make dang sure shes good to go.

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

I do NOT believe it is an electrical connection issue. The fact you mentioned the oil pressure light goes off with increased engine RPM proves it works.

The engine oil pump operates off the crankshaft. The more you increase engine RPM, the more oil pressure. You are getting the oil pressure light at lower RPMs because there is an engine problem and by design that is likely where it will show up.

My guess is that your oil pump is failing (out of 7 family-owned Accords, never seen this occur up to 368K+ miles) or most likely you already have engine bearing damage due to prior owner abuse. Not changing using appropriate motor oil, proper oil change intervals, running low on oil while under high RPM, loss of oil pressure, constant redlining without supporting mods, etc. could be reasons.

Do NOT operate your engine until you fix this or it may be too late already. Inspecting your drained motor oil closely and/or engine bearings directly will reveal if there is any engine bearing damage.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Your indication that the car was a mess upon purchasing it indicates the prevoius owner probably is the cause for this low oil pressure issue. Perhaps they even knew upon selling it to you.

My advice is to run an appropriate motor oil, nothing expensive for the time being. Do what you need to on the engine to get by and save up. Save up for an engine swap or another vehicle. If this occurred to the engine, it is probably only a taste of what else is wrong with the vehicle. If you plan to retain and repair it to decent standards, I would do a full in depth inspection or have someone mechanically inclined that you trust do so. I would not drive it until you do so. It's pretty simple, cars can transport you fast enough to kill you if not properly maintained. Do you have enough confidence in this vehicle's condition to bet the life of anyone that drives it?
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Welp im pretty mechanical incline.Done a number of swaps and rebuilds.The issues is all bearing clearances check out.Also no shavings in the oil.Engine is as smooth as a babys ass not one hic up with it.And that was only one rev out of the other times.It doesnt do it all the time most of the time i can put it in gear and it will go away.Cars been swaped with a f22b1 and it has no knocks,ticks,smoke or leaks.Cars pretty sound since ive gotten it after the coolant flush and stat change i let it sit and idle for damn near 2hour's checked on it every 10min's it never over heated nor did the oil light come back on.Thanks for telling my cars a pos lol which its far from that now just needed a lil tlc.But guess someones gotta point out the worst thing it could be thanks for your input bud all is welcome.

02 Crv

Comment

oil pressure sender switch? Try changing that out, I had a very similar issue, changed out that part, and it hasnt had a problem since.
              1993 Accord LX *Under construction*
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=162083 <---MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Darren93 View Post
                oil pressure sender switch? Try changing that out, I had a very similar issue, changed out that part, and it hasnt had a problem since.
                What im hoping it is free easy fix oil pump on the other hand is easy but costly to buy the pump.Someone tell me where the switch is?on the back of the block?like most hondas?

02 Crv

Comment

Back of the block above the oil filter. If you have the means, actually measure the oil pressure.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks what i figured.And no i dont have an oil pressure gauge atm would be a good idea though once moneys right.

02 Crv

Comment

check the wiring on the switch, make shure it is tight. sounds like a bad connection, when you put your car in drive the engine rocks back slightly and makes a better contact at the switch .....

Comment

Originally posted by old honda tek View Post
                        check the wiring on the switch, make shure it is tight. sounds like a bad connection, when you put your car in drive the engine rocks back slightly and makes a better contact at the switch .....
                        Ima get to it this weekend and hopefully get it fixed.If not oil pump it is i guess.

02 Crv

Comment

I presume you're using 5w30 oil right? Since its getting colder I would only use this vs 10w30...that could help the engine give it the lubrication it needs upon start up.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            I presume you're using 5w30 oil right? Since its getting colder I would only use this vs 10w30...that could help the engine give it the lubrication it needs upon start up.
                            10w30 full synthetic.Now this is what the PO said.Oil looks fresh he said it was changed less than 800miles ago.I was wondering same thing if the oil weight would make a factor aswell.But its 10w30 anyway and is pretty fresh still looks like honey.

02 Crv

Comment

Working...
                            X