Changing timing belt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing timing belt...

Well, I went to do my valve cover gaskets and tube seals, and once I got the rocker arms off i noticed there is a crack/tear in the timing belt.

This is not something I am super familiar with doing, and it's not something I can afford to do right. I can buy the belt, but that's it, nothing else. I dont have and impact wrench to get the crank bolt off, I am curious if I can remove the alternator, then the alt belt, then remove the timing belt and just wrap the belt around the pulleys, crankshaft, then pull it up and around the cam gear.

I hate doing things the wrong way, but this is an emergency, my only car, I am broke, and just need a way to get this done... If it's at all possible, I just need a way to quickly install the timing belt.

sorry friend youcant do it that way, youll have to take off the crank and get in there.
    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

crank pulley*
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

the crank pulley needs to come off, it covers the lower timing cover which needs to be taken off. You should do the water pump too since those usually last 90k or so before they start weeping coolant. Wish I could help but I'm in AZ. Try looking on Craigslist for tools though, I found an entire 22gal tank, gun and hose for 100 bucks.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I'd stress two points here:

- Doing the timing belt any way but "the right way" could result in a dramatic, immediate engine failure. Same thing could happen if that belt snaps on you.

The crank has to be aligned properly with the camshaft. If it isn't, your engine may get trashed. Maybe just the top half, if you are lucky, but that won't save you any money in any case. This isn't something you can afford to do wrong. If you don't have one, get a manual.

- Also, you don't need an impact to remove the crank bolt. It's a PITA, but you can do it by hand. You may need a crank pulley tool that bolts in place and holds the crank while you turn the bolt, otherwise you're turning the whole engine by hand.

I did my timing belt (+balance shaft belt+water pump) myself with little experience and saved a ton of money. Bought my impact on CL, btw. Worth it.

Comment

I just used a big breaker bar on a socket wrench to get the crank pulley off. Just use muscle mannn.

Slamage is worth the Damage

Originally posted by crazymikey
            "Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Comment

Buy this video....its $9.99 and it gives you step-by-step details with pictures. Well worth it. I just did the same thing.
              http://www.ericthecarguy.com/fix-it/

edit: I did buy a crank pulley holder tool.
              -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
              -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

What area are you in? If in NH I will come help you out. Also... Honda-tech has a step by step right up, and I'm pretty sure this site does too with pictures to help you do it, even with little expierience

Comment

dam, now dude is sellin vids of tb changes. pretty neat!
                  **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                  Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                  Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Working...
                  X