Okay to reuse headstuds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay to reuse headstuds?

Are our F22 headstuds torque to yield? or is it ok to reuse them after removing the cyl. head?

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
    Are our F22 headstuds torque to yield? or is it ok to reuse them after removing the cyl. head?
    They need to be replaced.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

By the books, they are non reusable stretch bolts.

Comment

ive used the same bolts in a couple of rebuilds, to owners request

i always recomend getting new studs, but 80% of the time people tell me to use the old ones, so far so good, so if you what to save some money, use the old ones
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

stock honda uses head "bolts" and as mentioned they are recommended by honda to be replaced every time the head is off. I have personally and know others who have reused them though.

If you plan on removing the head again any time soon do your self a favor and get some ARP head studs.
          1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
          newer race video,older race videos
          1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
          1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            stock honda uses head "bolts" and as mentioned they are recommended by honda to be replaced every time the head is off. I have personally and know others who have reused them though.

If you plan on removing the head again any time soon do your self a favor and get some ARP head studs.

he's just doing a stock rebuild, there's no need, to spend extra money, on unnecessary stuff
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

i always tell people that its better to replace them if you want to be sure.

I feel that they can be used one more time as long as the torque specs are followed and add like 2 more pounds because thats just what ive always heard..

it is recommended that you change them for obvious reasons like stretching and if the motor were run hard they could break and there goes your engine

but if it is for a stock build and not going all out then I think you should be fine..my .02

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
              Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
              Originally posted by bmxicansd
              so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

this is news to me. i have never heard you had to change them. i knew that they stretch after using them a few times but i reuse them quite a bit. always planned on replacing them after the second reuse but always sold the motor before or something. i would say if they aren't super old then you can reuse them once. i did alway torque them down 3 lbs over though. reused them on my friends mini me twice and it stills runs great. sold it a year ago and still see the guy driving it everywhere.

edit: yes all these were basically stock builds with only i/h/e and for a couple older friends that aren't tuners just have hondas so i work on them. i would not encourage it on a build your planning to abuse. my h22 will be seeing arp when that head comes off.
                Last edited by crashandburn930; 08-29-2010, 04:40 AM.

Comment

yeah last time I did a HG I bought some ARP headstuds, the H23 kit, for about 135 bucks. But I'm not sure if those are needed for this car, This car isn't going to push near the amount of power to stress those out to their limit. I know there's also 3 stages of torquing involved, (28, 59 and 78ft-lbs?).

I mean, if replacement headstuds are cheap enough, then I'll get them ~$40 or so. But if a couple members haven't had any issues w/ the head sealing then I think I may be okay.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I have ARP headstuds in my civic and I blew a headgasket after 48K miles boosted. HRMM

Comment

I would wager the cars the are "ok" on used headbolts are not boosted and are not higher compression...definitely not boosted.
                      ____

Comment

yeah I think I'm going to reuse the ones from my F22A6, the headgasket barely was leaking on that engine and luckily I saved them. The minimum price for a new set is around 80 bucks not worth it on a 180k engine, thats not intended for performance in my case...just DD duty. Thanks for all the replies!

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          yeah I think I'm going to reuse the ones from my F22A6, the headgasket barely was leaking on that engine and luckily I saved them. The minimum price for a new set is around 80 bucks not worth it on a 180k engine, thats not intended for performance in my case...just DD duty. Thanks for all the replies!
                          Poor choice. There is a right way, and there is the internet way. It is cheaper to pay the $80 and have peace of mind, than to save the $80 and spend 4x that later because you have to redo it. Hope it works, because I would hate to see it overheat in the middle of summer, and leave you on the side of a freeway.

It's just stupid for the money.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

agreed no point i wasting the money to get a new oem gasket for more than a new set of head bolts cost

current cb 93 10th ann. edition

member ride thread >>> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...73#post3257973

Comment

i would never replace the head bolts if i didnt have to. ive looked int he manual and they never mentioned them to be torque to yield. ive re-used head studs many times.

id trust the factory honda bolt way more than the crap they are producing nowadays.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X