F#%K the H22 timing belt tensioner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F#%K the H22 timing belt tensioner.

Who all has had to deal with the stupid hydraulic timing belt tensioner?
    FUCK IT.

Slamage is worth the Damage

Originally posted by crazymikey
    "Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Most people swap it out for the manual tensioner. What happened?

Comment

convert manual before it's to late
      Last edited by Gtseviper; 07-17-2010, 11:53 PM.
      New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
      tsx retrofit
      f22b dohc boosted
      custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

How can I get a manual one? I can't go to I.A. now because I don't have the tool to put the hydraulic tensioner back on...

"Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Comment

Manual Tensioner OEM equipment

This seems to be the cheapest route and is a great kit.
          I have personally used one and the OEM quality is great.
          MadLab Racing
          Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
            Manual Tensioner OEM equipment

This seems to be the cheapest route and is a great kit.
            I have personally used one and the OEM quality is great.
            Thanks man. I'll think about getting that.

Comment

when you buy a new tensioner it comes the the tool to hold it down

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

automatic tensioner is just as realible as a manual tensioner, you don't need to go out and waste money, most of these motors are 9-18 years old and they are fine, if you took it out you'll have to open the bolt on the bottom and use a flat head screw driver to tightn it back up add some clean engine oil in there before you tighten it back then use a vice grip and just lock it, attach it back and only release when your timing is set.

1993 CB6 Coupe Seattle Silver YR-94M

Originally posted by Acclude
                4gens are win. It's in the bible somewhere.
                yeah its verse 10.6:1

Members Ride Thread
                1993 Accord Coupe- Summer ride
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130064
                1995 Civic Coupe - Winter/DD
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...53#post2744953

Comment

lexus 1mzfe motors all use hydrulic tensioners and theyve never had any issues.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcoupe View Post
                    automatic tensioner is just as realible as a manual tensioner, you don't need to go out and waste money, most of these motors are 9-18 years old and they are fine, if you took it out you'll have to open the bolt on the bottom and use a flat head screw driver to tightn it back up add some clean engine oil in there before you tighten it back then use a vice grip and just lock it, attach it back and only release when your timing is set.
                    why chance it? i haven't heard of anyone having a manual tensioner go bad on them, but i have heard quite a few stories of the auto going bad. There isn't a reason in my eyes to not do it. Why waste money? a lot of people dont waste money on oil changes because the chances of them having any real problem is minimal as long as they make sure there enough there. but they're retards.

i used the manual tensioner off my F22a1 when i did my swap. if you still have the stock motor, just swap that over. you might need a couple of bolts and washers from honda, but that'll cost you less than $10. less than any tool to put the auto on would be.

Comment

yeah i'd definitely recommend the manual tensioner. Before I swapped my H22 in thats the very first thing I changed along w/ the timing belt/waterpump. Most of the parts I borrowed from my F22A6, so it cost me about 20 bucks or less from the dealer.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                        why chance it? i haven't heard of anyone having a manual tensioner go bad on them, but i have heard quite a few stories of the auto going bad. There isn't a reason in my eyes to not do it. Why waste money? a lot of people dont waste money on oil changes because the chances of them having any real problem is minimal as long as they make sure there enough there. but they're retards.

i used the manual tensioner off my F22a1 when i did my swap. if you still have the stock motor, just swap that over. you might need a couple of bolts and washers from honda, but that'll cost you less than $10. less than any tool to put the auto on would be.
                        It is one of those things that gets greatly exaggerated on the internet.

I am not against the manual tensioner per se (it is easier to work with), but haven't had any problems with the auto ones either, and nearly every Honda since 1998 has used auto-tensioners in one form or another. Manual tensioners have failure points just as well.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I would have to agree that the auto tensioners aren't necessarily bad just over hyped. I'd go with what ever was cheaper and easier to work with. If putting a new auto tensioner in is going to be easier and cheaper, I'd just do that, but if the manual tensioners are cheaper and easier to work with... it all comes down to what you want to use. It's your choice, but they are both good.
                          Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Working...
                          X