purpose of exhaust manifold heat cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purpose of exhaust manifold heat cover

whats the purpose of the stock heat cover thing that covers over the exhaust manifold/header?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

to protect you...

really, that's pretty much it. Take it off if you dont want it..
    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

You notice the little picture in front of it? that has the hand with a slash through it? HOT DONT TOUCH IT!, it also helps keep engine temp down.
      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Does taking off the heatshield wreck the paint on your hood from extra heat hitting the hood directly?

Comment

nope. but it keeps the engine bay a little cooler.
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

i have a short ram, ill keep mine on then.

man, i feel so down right now about my car, my back bumper is falling off and there is some rust starting under there, damnit, i finally get afew mods and now this is happening.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Welcome to the world of cb7s. It happens all too often. Just keep your head up and know you aren't alone at all!

PTAC (Poor Tuner's Accord Club) - #05

2003-2006 - '91 Accord EX 2dr 5spd "Macy" R.I.P
              2006-20?? - '99 Grand Am SE 4dr Auto "NoName"

Comment

Really .. What is the Truth/Opinion On This Subject?

I've seen alotta images on this site alone, with them off .. specially the H series motors ..

Then again.. other people say that their there for a reason .. anyone ever experiance a *downside*
                from *not* having it on?

I'm plannin on takin in my 4-2-1 ex exhaust manifold, havin it sandblasted, and then heat spraying it..
                and leaving the shield itself off ..
                What can it hurt?

A Hui Hou !!!
                Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

In extreme cases, leaving the cover off can damage the components close to the manifold (cooling fans, wiring, etc.) The cover is there to dissipate heat and protect components close to it. Theres really no reason to take it off unless you have a manifold that doesn't support it. If it looks bad, you can always paint it!

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda
                    I've seen alotta images on this site alone, with them off .. specially the H series motors ..

Then again.. other people say that their there for a reason .. anyone ever experiance a *downside*
                    from *not* having it on?

I'm plannin on takin in my 4-2-1 ex exhaust manifold, havin it sandblasted, and then heat spraying it..
                    and leaving the shield itself off ..
                    What can it hurt?

A Hui Hou !!!
                    Tomi
                    im sure alot of times with the h motors, when the swap comes in, there isnt a heat shield attached. or like myself, have purchased an aftermarket header, so the headshield will not bolt on.

if you want to keep heat in even better... take off the shield and wrap the header.

Comment

Thanks .. and still .. everyone I've talked with about this .. has yet to come up with any *horror stories* so ..

Besides .. lol .. I didnt get a Heat Shield from Brandon when he sold me the 4-2-1 .. and ..
                      I doubt the LX heat shield would work anyhow .. hahaha .. so there good excuse to get some
                      one billion degree krylon, and some goggles .. now then .. Where can I hang this thing to dryyy?
                      Ahhhhh .. guyz .. your ladys have a difficult time with you hangin shit from that shower curtain rod thingy?
                      Or uhh, is it just me?

Seriously .. if anyone has ever encountered a problem with it off .. I'd love to hear about it.

I could see if you were like idleing at an intersection for an hour lol .. but .. geeez ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X