Air conditioner slacks when extremely hot out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air conditioner slacks when extremely hot out

I replaced my condensor last summer do to it having a leak, Now . . .when they replaced the condensor they did not vaccume out the system as I was told was the proper way , and just recharged with a autozone kit.

The AC blows pretty good when the temps decent , except when it's extremely hot out which is annoying and somewhat embarrassing when there's people in the cb with me lol...

Questions is , Is it because I did not vaccum e the system out like I was told or is this issue happening because of something else

Thanks in advance

I just want to make sure before I go and 100 bucks and still have the same issue lol , with my luck

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

i have this happening to me, my cb didn't have a/c for about 4 years. I fixed it a month ago, it works great, especially on the freeway, but on a stop and go traffic or city driving it doesn't feel the same, it stops blowing cold the way it should.

I notice my engine bay temp goes up when at low speeds and when its very hot outside. I noticed it because i have a water temp gauge installed. I think somehow the engine bay temp has something to do with it.

think, why the lines infront the headers are heatshielded, and the headers itself has a shield, and removing that shield, it increases the engine bay temperatures sacrificing the a/c output Installing aftermarket header might be worst. it might be hurting the compressor??

Its just a thought. Do you have an aftermarket header? or a header thats not shielded?

edit: about the vacuume the system out i have no idea. maybe thats way mine is acting up to, we didn't vacuum anything out
    Last edited by jmolina; 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM.

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

well I don't have the lines wrapped and I do not have any aftermarket header. Everything stock lol

Plus not having tints makes it hotter lol ,

+ I know its an old car but is it me or does the full blast seem weak on the ac

Comment

i think you should have done the vaccum, i got my car recharged like 2 months ago and i dont have any issues with the ac, if im driving or at a stop light. i do have to rewrap the ac lines because they are exposed and i know that doing this will make the ac come out colder than it already is. btw i dont have a header heat shield but the header is wrapped. i took my car to a buddies shop and all he charged me was 60bucks

Comment

Thanks bro , what did you use to wrap the a lines with ? I remember reading that wrapping does help, also how long did the vacumme and rechargr take.

Someone told me that to vacumme a system takes about an hour anda shop told me 27 min

Comment

your problems may be the result of incorrect procedures used...it will be hard to diagnose until it is properly vacuum/charge techniques are used. I would not return to that "shop"

You may have a lot of moisture in the system as a result of not pulling a vacuum. Did they replace the receiver drier? You ALWAYS replace that when the system loses pressure and falls to atmospheric pressure.
            ____

Comment

Originally posted by 10thAnnCB7 View Post
              Thanks bro , what did you use to wrap the a lines with ? I remember reading that wrapping does help, also how long did the vacumme and rechargr take.

Someone told me that to vacumme a system takes about an hour anda shop told me 27 min
              the ac lines, i will buy some type of insulation tape at home depot, not sure yet of what type. the header wrap i just bought at advance. the vaccum didnt take that much(maybe 15 min) and yeah i also changed the receiver drier since my old one was old.

Comment

My Civic does this and I cant figure it out. The lines are wrapped from the factory and I checked the pressures which are good. I am going to vacuum my system out and change out the drier and see what happens.

Comment

It could be tons of things that could be wrong.

Moisture in the system will definitely do that.

The compressor might be going kaput. see if you can get any pressure readings off of the high and low side and post that up.

you might not have enough freon in the system.

If a job isn't done right. Shit happens.

If you ever flush, REPLACE THE DRIER!

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                  Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                  NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

If you see bubbles in the drier, then you need freon. If it is crystal clear, then its good to go. Just make sure you dont have too much in there. You should be able to rent that vacuum pump from the parts place.

Comment

The drier needs to be replace any time the refrigeration system is exposed to the atmosphere. Not atmospheric pressure. The drier removes moisture from the refrigerant. I would defiantly wrap the lines to insulate them. An a/c system doesn't magically make cold air. It removes heat from the air it's blowing out, so if the li es are uninsulated the refrigerant can't remove more heat because it's already absorbed it.

The system also may not have been charged enough. That would defiantly be worth checking.

Something else that comes to mind is when your stopped or driving slow your compressor isn't getting as much power as when your car is driving fast. all electrical is being shared and at a stop the car makes less power to be shared. Also do you use the circulate button or vent button when using the ac?
                      91 ex sedan
                      And now, new for 2012, a 93 ex wagon!

Paypal verified
                      Bought from: frootloops, 90accords, Agol
                      sold to: Agol

Comment

One thing you can do to add more AC power at low speeds is to replace the pulley on the AC pump with a slightly smaller one. A smaller pulley will spin faster, meaning the AC will have more power at lower RPMs. Also, have it flushed, vacuumed, and recharged, and replace the drier. Wrap your AC lines. And for some added cool, take your headliner off and add a layer of this stuff between the liner and the roof.

http://secondskinaudio.com/thermal-i...t-wave-pro.php

Comment

Working...
                        X