Ignition Lock Cylinder locked up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Lock Cylinder locked up

wanted to get some opinions on this, and a little help.

now last night i went out to my car to start it up,i turn it all the way to start and then all of a sudden the key gets locked into the start position and just spinning the starter motor. i tried as hard as possible to turn in off to no luck. it final stopped the start motor, but was stuck on III area of the cylinder, and wouldn't move. the key goes in and out but wont turn lock. i messed with it and cleaned it little, but its still locked up. what i ended up doing was taking the switch it self off the locking parts, and then just turn the switch in that to start it up.

so my question is: since its stuck in the start position, how would i get the lock cylinder out? the service Manuel state it has to be on the I spot. and i have tried everything to get it off,and turn the key back, short of breaking it. and the key will not turn back to the other spot to release it.
    Last edited by baracuda; 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Someone I knew had a similiar problem on a Focus. He Kept dipping the car key in motor oil and inserting into the keyhole until it was lubed up enough to turn again. You could try that

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

i will try it, any other ideas out there? i may see about taking it to a lock smith if all else fails, would be cheaper then buying the whole assembly.

Comment

Sounds like your key cylinder is too worn out. My friend's car did the same thing and we had to get a new cylinder to properly fix it (got it to unlock from the III position but it would keep getting stuck at random times).

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
          Sounds like your key cylinder is too worn out. My friend's car did the same thing and we had to get a new cylinder to properly fix it (got it to unlock from the III position but it would keep getting stuck at random times).
          yeah, were you able to get the lock part out of rest of the asembely? thats the only part im stuck on. and the lock is waaaay cheaper, then buying the whole thing.

Comment

I ordered a brand new cylinder (which also included the main harness) from Ebay and he took that to the locksmith and got them to change the pins inside so he could use his old key. Since his car's an auto, we needed to swap over a couple extra things from the old cylinder.

Comment

any ideas? i cant get the cylinder out sine its stuck in the start position...there has to be another way.

Comment

What kind of prices did you get?? The whole thing cost roughly $75 shipped while the key cylinder part only was $10 cheaper. The back half (the harness side) tend to get worn out too which is why we just changed the whole thing.

I wish I kept the old one (gave it back to my friend). I could have tried and disassembled the cylinder from the casing so I can do a write up but without it, I can't quite remember what had to be done to get it off. I have a parts car 94 Accord sitting outside with a mangled ignition (theft recovery). If I have time tomorrow, I'll see if it's intact enough to get an idea of what you need to do.

Comment

New ignition mine was bad as well on my 93 I just changed it but you can also just punch it out and use a screw driver for now.

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
                    What kind of prices did you get?? The whole thing cost roughly $75 shipped while the key cylinder part only was $10 cheaper. The back half (the harness side) tend to get worn out too which is why we just changed the whole thing.

I wish I kept the old one (gave it back to my friend). I could have tried and disassembled the cylinder from the casing so I can do a write up but without it, I can't quite remember what had to be done to get it off. I have a parts car 94 Accord sitting outside with a mangled ignition (theft recovery). If I have time tomorrow, I'll see if it's intact enough to get an idea of what you need to do.
                    well i was looking at autozone,advance, etc. and for the whole thing, lock,housing, and harness was over $300. the key cylinder(the only part i need) is $10 bucks. but since its jammed into the start postion the sucker wont budge, i may look at tearing up the lock and maybe i can get it off that way, not sure if it will work.

Comment

ok well i took a flat head to it, and got it out after breaking a few things. looks like some chunk of metal was jamming it up under the lock, and lock it self looked way worn out....go figure a 20 yr old car with problems.

Comment

new one installed and everything works just like it used too.

Comment

Working...
                        X