Keeping heat on burns gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping heat on burns gas?

Since its really cold here in NYC, I keep the heat on in the car. I put the fan midway between off and high. And i keep the heat temp. all the way on hot. I dont put on the A/C, and i keep it circulating through the car. Does doing this burn any gas or anything? B/c i noticed that last week, i spent $28.00 on gas. I put the gas muzzle in my car, and didnt let go til it stopped But this tuesday, it was already at empty, and i dont drive alot. Could it be that since im using the heat alot, it uses up my gas? B/c this is the first winter that i own a car, and im wondering. In the summer, i had great gas mileage wit my cb7.

probably you havent experianced winter gas, in wintertime gas stations add more water i think to the gas so that it is more stable...gas milage always sucks in winter time for me.

IMO heater and AC wasting gas, isnt really an issue, i think we are talking about very little bit of gas wasted...some think otherwise though
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

oh yeah accordztech is right....umm i was watching mythbusters like last month or so...and they did a test to see if you get better gas mileage driving with the A/c on or off....and well they both drove identical vehicles, and they had the tanks filled up completley with gas, the drove around a track, and the one with the A/C ON got 14 less miles to the tank...the cars they were driven we're ford expeditions, and i would guess they have about 20-25 gallon gas tanks, and if the guy with the A/C on only got 14 less miles to the tank, then that means he was loosing less than .5 miles ot a gallon. so running with the A/c on doesnt take much gas away at all. and heat doesnt take anything away.
      i hope that all made sense.

Comment

i think the only reason why u use more gas with the ac on is the engine load. since its slower you push the gas more to get to where you are going, and thats where the gas milage decreases....
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

remember to use those a/cs once in a while in the winter so they dont ceaze!

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

yep i think your exactly right accordztech....

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
              remember to use those a/cs once in a while in the winter so they dont ceaze!
              yeup DO THAT!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

A/C has a huge effect. I used the A/C the entire way to Kansas City, and even though it was highway miles, I still got 50 fewer miles than I usually get in the city, and 100 less than highway without A/C. So yeah, it makes a difference. Having your heat on does not, as long as you don't push in the A/C button. Winter gas just sucks. remember to reset your ECU with the temp change to get the best gas mileage possible.
                -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                  Originally posted by accordztech
                  probably you havent experianced winter gas, in wintertime gas stations add more water i think to the gas so that it is more
                  No.
                  no as in...you are completely wrong and you are a fucking idiot or no as in just a tad bit wrong?

you need reasoning behind your statement...
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                    Gas stations don't do anything to gas but sell it.
                    have any proof?

heard some gas stations sell cokes and snicker bars

but seriously some of the cheapy gas places to water down their gas, some places add stuff liek fuel additives such as cheveron or shell.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

What about the people who supply the gas?
                      Anyway, I try to almost never use AC because my first car got horrible gas mileage. Mercury topaz - 4 cyl, 98 HP, 18 mpg, 13 with AC on. It sucked ass!
                      I agree with ztech, I think the extra mileage is mostly on stop and go traffic, pushing that extra inch or two on the pedal to make up for sucking away your HP.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

So this 'wintergas' thing is just a myth and all the people who notice it are delusional?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Geez!!! Wintergas has the opposite of water in it.... Winter gas has gas-liner anti-freeze (some sort of alcohol) so that the gas doesn't freeze in your gas-lines. Gas and water don't mix anyway, one sits on top of the other. If anything, the gas may have water-remover added to it, since water is the worst possible thing to have in your gas in the winter.

One of the main reasons you use more gas in the winter is that your car has to run richer until it warms up, your eletronic fuel injection is doing the equivalent of opening the choke on a carburator. Your car is also idling much higher than normal while running rich at the same time = wasteful of gas.

Just be glad that you're not driving a diesel. My roomate had a 2001 Golf TDI, and those things just suck back the gas when they're cold.. You should see how much black smoke comes out of those puppies when you start them when it's super cold...it also has absolutely no power until it warms up.

I'm talking real winter's too, it's -26C here (-15F) BEFORE taking into account wind!! My car has been a thirsty bastard these past few days...

Comment

haha accordaffair you had a topaz? thats so freeking nice. and wow this thread sure got way off topic now didnt it

Comment

Working...
                            X