H22 - VTEC operation discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 - VTEC operation discussion

You all know I'm not into the H22's much, but I had somewhat of an interested conversation today with a co-worker that formerly was an engine dyno technician for Champion spark plugs. To my surprise (one of the first), this guy knew some info on Hondas. He saw me on CB7tuner.com at work and was like, what's that? I'm like oh, it's a Honda Accord forum, etc. He's like oh, you into Hondas...yada yada. So he was like, when I used to work at Champion we tested a Prelude VTEC engine that was rated at 190 hp. He said they are good and strong motors. He was suprised at the power for a four-cylinder. He also commented on the VTEC system and how it really works. Anyways, he talked about how they tested this particular motor running it under different loads and changing the temperature drastically, trying to crack the ceramic portion of the spark plugs, etc. He mentioned how they would run it WOT under full load, then stop the engine and open the water cooling system to drastically cool it down instantly, then they'd start the motor back up and run it hard again. He was surprised at the durability of the motor. Anyhow, he said a lot more time went by, they noticed the power of the engine started to slowly decrease. He said that as the oil wore-down, it had an effect on the VTEC system and the solenoids that activate it through oil pressure, etc began not working properly and caused the engine to lose power.

This is what he said, don't take it as my words....discuss....has anyone failed to maintain their VTEC engine (H22 or other) and had this happen to them before?
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

thats the most interesting thing ive seen on here in a long time....it makes complete sense too.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Im not trying to sound like an asshole, but i thought it was common knowledge that any motor over time begins to lose power, especially if it isnt well maintained. That being said, when VTEC was first introduced into mass production Hondas, it was considered a complicated and innovative technology among the automotive community. Hell, it spawned coptcat systems used by other manufacturers that realized Honda was onto something. The point being, its an intricate system, and not mainained properly it will lose effectiveness. A friend of mine bought a used 2002 S2000 out of Arizona that had a screwy VTEC system cuz the guy that had it dogged the livving hell out of the motor before the repo man took it from him. My friend with a 96 Integra GSR had to replace his VTEC solenoid not too long ago. It got clogged up. No biggie, but power loss over time isnt something that happens only to VTEC motors. Its kinda like changing out your air and fuel filters every once in a while. If you dont keep them clean, your car will gradually lose power output. Same difference.

Comment

hes meaning by the oil thinning out, thus creating a lag in vtec cross over due to the fact that the oil pressure isnt building fast enough......
        Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry4thgen
          hes meaning by the oil thinning out, thus creating a lag in vtec cross over due to the fact that the oil pressure isnt building fast enough......

Ahh gotcha. But wouldnt oil thin out happen if you dont have the correct weight for your running conditions? Or if youre losing pressure becuase of a leak or burn off somewhere?

Comment

Well of course oil conditions will affect VTEC. Thats what gets the ball rolling, oil!!
            FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Working...
            X