List of problems with my CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of problems with my CB7

alright, i bought my first car ever in my life this summer. It was a 1992 Honda Accord LX. It had 139,000 miles, and i paided $2200 for it. I didnt do any work on it, or any tune-ups really. I concentrated on a sound system and stuff. But last week, my water pump blew. I paided $300 to have a my water pump and timing/balance shaft belts changed. I also had my brakes bled b/c they were sinking to the floor. My oil pan had a crack in it, so today i went and paided $155 for a Honda OEM oil pan, and $120 to install it.There are still some problems with my car that i am trying to fix.

1.) My brake pedal still sinks to the floor, and my brakes make squealing sounds when i use them.
    2.) I was told that i have a hole in my "flex pipe", which was leaking exhaust. Whats the correct name for this pipe, as im trying to find a honda oem replacement. Its the pipe that goes from the header to the catalytic i think.
    3.) My transmission jerks when it shifts gears.
    4.) A rattling/cracking sound comes from my engine when i first start it up for the day. AFterwards, when its warmed up, its stops. I was told by the mechanic that it was probably the oil pump. Could it be my oil pump making those sounds, or is he just looking for ez cash.

Thanks alot.

1.) you need to replace the break pads and fill and bleed the breaking system

2.) flexpipe... yes it's in the peice that goes from the header to the catalytic converter

3.) automatic? try a tranny fluid flush

4.) could be numerous things. not too sure what they could be... let someone else chime in..
    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
      3.) My transmission jerks when it shifts gears.

Thanks alot.
      Ill take this one . Im guessing its an automatic, and if it is, there is going to be a jerk when it shifts, and I would also check the mounts, mines an AutoMatic and it jerks but more than it should because of a motor mount being out. heres what my bad mount looks like:

http://geocities.com/twiztid0151986/100_0874.jpg
      and
      http://geocities.com/twiztid0151986/100_0875.jpg

Ima have to get mine replaced waiting on my uncle that owns a shop to give me a price. but usually its about 50 or so new.

Good Luck on the rest,
      TpyoKnig

and Welcome to the club
      Im finally back!

Comment

thanks alot you guys. The rattling sound happened like a day after i had the timing belt/ water pump changed. The mechanic said it might be the oil pump going bad, and i would like to confirm if a bad oil pump would make that noise. And do you guys know sites that sell OEM honda parts cheap? im looking for a flex pipe. I had a choice to make, either spend $2,200 on an old car (my 92 honda accord lx), and own it. Or put down $2,200 on a new car(i was thinking of going with a VW or something), and pay monthly payments. I hope i made the right choice. thanks.

Comment

thanks alot you guys. The rattling sound happened like a day after i had the timing belt/ water pump changed. The mechanic said it might be the oil pump going bad, and i would like to confirm if a bad oil pump would make that noise. And do you guys know sites that sell OEM honda parts cheap? im looking for a flex pipe. I had a choice to make, either spend $2,200 on an old car (my 92 honda accord lx), and own it. Or put down $2,200 on a new car(i was thinking of going with a VW or something), and pay monthly payments. I hope i made the right choice. thanks.
          www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Keep in mind that not everything has to be replaced with Honda OEM parts. If it's a critical part on your vehicle, vital to it's functionality, I use Honda OEM no questions. If it's not, then I go to Autozone and/or Advance Auto Parts and buy something of decent quality.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

1) bleeding brake pedal - bad master cylinder

2) sqeaky pads - pads are worn down to indicator, or the're just cheap pads

3) "jerky" trans - burnt trans fluid, and/or broken motor mount

4) "rattle" from engine after t-belt - tech left something loose, or broke something when working on your car

the first three items are very common on these cars, I work on them every day. The last thing.....I don't know what to tell you other than I've NEVER heard or even seen an oil pump go bad. good luck
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Same problems my car had when I bought it.
              I did the following.
              1.Have mechanic replace exhaust from cat back to muffler. For me it turned out it wasn't debris in the flexpipe as my old mechanic thought. Just a hole where the pipe meets the cat. *Problem is now I'm getting a hole where the downpipe meets the cat! Oh sweet irony!*
              2. Sinking brake pedal - bought a brake master cylinder from autozone, had my mechanic put it in. Problem solved!
              3. Automatics with older, high mileage transmissions have rough engaging when compared to other cars' trannys. Nothing to be concerned about, but changing out your tranny fluid may help.
              3a. *Note* when I cleaned out my EGR ports, it seemed to help.
              3b. Almost forgot, replacing all motor mounts is probably a good solution, but so costly that, again, its not worth the bother.
              4. Hmmm, I didn't have that problem. To check for noises under the hood, I take a stethescope (spelling?) and put it up to various parts of the engine and listen. Of course I don't use a real stethescope, just take a screwdriver and put the handle up to your ear. It will work well as a stethescope. You can use it to audibly pinpoint where noises are coming from, and spot noises that are too faint to hear normally.
              Last edited by accordaffair; 01-20-2005, 03:20 AM.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i dont think the tech left something loose that is causing the rattling. B/c once the car warms up, the sound stops.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with a bad oil pump making noise? Also, how do i check my timing? maybe that is the problem, b/c the car only started making noise after i had my water pump/t-belt changed. Maybe since its a new water pump, it needs to break in, and will make that noise.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with a bad oil pump making noise? Also, how do i check my timing? maybe that is the problem, b/c the car only started making noise after i had my water pump/t-belt changed. Maybe since its a new water pump, it needs to break in, and will make that noise.
                    it goes away after it warms up? Sounds like the valves may just need to be adjusted.
                    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
                    X