coolant disappearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant disappearing

Hello CB 7 fam. my coolant is leaving my radiator and it isnt. any oil mixed in the oil cap or on the dipstick. it isnt smoking either. i think it mite be leaving the engine on the exhaust side. but how can i check to see? i checked all the hoses under the hood, no sign of leakage. does anyone have any idea's on where my coolant is going? thanks in a advance

My car is sucking it into the combustion chamber. I have a stripped head stud in teh center of the block/head. Its not enough to cause smoke. I only notice it at very low acceleration. Not even at idle. I add coolant every few days. I bet your HG is starting to go or there is a very small crack somewhere. Pull your spark plugs and see if any of them have white on the end. If so there is the cyl your coolant is sucking into. If not then it has to be leaking out somewhere.

Comment

how's your overflow tank? is it full?

If your radiator cap is going bad it may be allowing coolant to escape into your overflow. Do you have any puddling under your car?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

If you live in a corrosive environment, more than likely your radiator needs to be replaced or your radiator hoses (especially lower joint to radiator) is leaking/seeping.

Inspect the areas mentioned and if radiator hoses are not leaking, then it is probably time to replace the radiator. I would buy & install a new radiator cap as well.

I'm actually doing this exact job now. My father recently purchased a 91 Accord EX coupe automatic for my little sister, I went through it and prepared it. Warmed up engine and was about to go for test drive, noticed coolant leaking out of bottom of radiator and on top. Radiator is deteriorated, car sat for long time. I'm replacing radiator hoses, thermostat, radiator and radiator cap.

Bought a Koyo OEM replacement radiator from www.radiator.com, $159 shipped. It is great quality, this is like the 4 or 5th unit we've purchased in my family (yes, we've had 7 CB7's). Rest of coolant parts are OEM Honda.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

coolant leakage

Hello once again. thanks for the input. No there isn't any wetness under the car. the hoses are not seeping, the overflow bottle is always empty when the radiator is low. There is no wetness on the waterpump side either. i purchased some k&w block sealant, hopefully this will help for awhile.

Comment

I had this problem when I first bought my car. I had a slow leak in one of my heater hoses. The hole was so small that it only leaked when it was hot and it was under a little pressure. I replaced all the hoses in that little area, even the one that does that loop crap and it hasnt lost a drop since.

Comment

coolant leakage

hey CB fam, well i found out that the radiator cap was cracked around the edges and the sealing surfaces were hard and had grooves in them. would this cause me to loose coolant?

Comment

when you start the car, does it hesistate for about 30 or so seconds? I had this weird coolant disappearance as well, every week or so my overflow tank would go dry.

It turned out my headgasket was seeping coolant into the combustion chamber between cyl. 2 & 3 everytime I shut the car off, thus the reason for the hesistation upon starting...it idled rough for 30 sec. then cleared itself out.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Another common problem is the Intake Manifold Gasket, it has a VERY thin O-ring for the coolant, and its right next to Cyl-4.
                  Your man for wiring solutions!
                  CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                  CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

my suggestion: replace all the coolant hoses
                    i did this and my car is fine now
                    also if you can, pressure test ur coolant system
                    if there is a leak, a pressure test will definitely help you find it

90 accord lx
                    form > function

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by BluAccord View Post
                      hey CB fam, well i found out that the radiator cap was cracked around the edges and the sealing surfaces were hard and had grooves in them. would this cause me to loose coolant?

could be...

Do not put that radiator sealant in your car, it should be illegal to sell that crap.

Do not put water in, putting coolant mixture in will actually help you find a leak as it is neon green, it has a unique smell, AND when it dries it leaves a white residue

Does the car run rough or have any slight hesitation?

If you do not have coolant blowing out the cap/overflow tank or coolant mixing with oil then I would not suspect a head gasket at first.

Look for dried coolant...if there is a bunch, check all the spots you see it...then wash EVERYTHING off...drive around a couple days, look for more dried coolant.
                      ____

Comment

coolant disappearing

Well hello CB tuner fam, it's been awhile since a reply but I had to give it a while to see if what I found was the problem. When I was assembling the car back together, I was adjusting a rubber sleeve on the top hose that runs to the thermostat housing, and I noticed a couple of deep gouges in the hose al the way to the white interior of the hose. I was running the car for awhile in the heat with the a/c running to see if it would loose water. It was the top hose. After I replaced the hose it is all good. The hose was the right one, but who ever had the car b4 me put it on wrong so I caused it to rub on the slave cylinder when it was depressed to change gears so I guess thats why the put the rubber sleeve on there in that spot so it wouldnt rub a hole in the hose. (NO I didn't use the block sealent.) Once again Thanks for the help
                        Last edited by BluAccord; 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X