Idle Jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Jumping

ight guys, need any advice possible. A month ago my car started idling real bad, then dying. The local H dealer said it was my idle control valve. I replaced the valve and had the coolant power flushed, on top of installing a new radiator earlier. So now the car idles fine and deosn't die, except for after you've been driving for a while. Once it warms up and i put it back in park (auto, after driving) the idles jump between 1500 and normal idle. It jumps for a while, sometimes settling down after time. Need some ideas what could be making it jump. My buds 5g accord does the same, but his is a stick (it happens when he has the clutch in), so im thinkin its not the tranny. Thro some ideas out there, its a real pain in the ass

Vaccum Leak. Check To See If The Iacv Is Tight. Will It Do It In "n" To Or Just In Park?
    kyle turner
    [img]june21004[img]

Comment

look for vacuum leaks.
      Then try the idle adjust screw( facing the pass. side) Mine was all the way out, and my idle would jump up and down. Now it dont do it anymore.

Comment

Also There Is A Adjustment On The Iacv Facing The Passenger Side
        It Is A Hex Key And Try To Screw It In Or Out And See What That Does. Be Sure To Have The Motor Running To See If The Idle Changes. I Agree With Aero3685 It Could Be Your Adjustment Screw On Your Throttle Body So Check That First.
        kyle turner
        [img]june21004[img]

Comment

i had the idle checked two months ago, when its not jumping its idling where its supposed to be. It does it in nuetral and park, but only when its warmed up and only for about 5 minutes. If its a vacuum leak, how can i check for it. Ill try the idle adjustment. Might be somethin honda has to find

Comment

To Check For A Vaccum Leak You Take Some Carb Cleaner Or Wd-40 And Spary Around The Intake Manifold While The Motor Is Running And The Idle Will Dramatically Go Up Or Down And Look For Bubbles Where You Spray The Fluid And That Is Where Your Leak Is At. It Can Be Hard To Find A Vaccum Leak Sometimes, It Doesn't Take Much Of A Leak To Make The Idle Jump.
            kyle turner
            [img]june21004[img]

Comment

ehh, dont let honda do it unless you want to pay out the butt. My car also idled fine.. and then when it would warm up, it would do the annoying idle. I dont think yours is a vacuum leak either, since it would do it all the time, not just when its warm.

If you stand on the passenger side of the car, and look at the Throttle body(where the air intake pipe connects) On the top of that, there is a Flathead Screw that is recessed a little in the top of it, facing the passenger side. Just turn it one way or the other(you'll prolly want to turn it right, but im not positive). Then the idle problem shouldnt come back. Thankfully that was my problem, and it sounds like its yours aswell.

Heres a picture...the idle screw will be somewhere around where that red vacuum line connects(the thick one covered w/the cloth stuff)

Last edited by aero; 01-16-2005, 10:35 PM.

Comment

FIV Adjustment

Once again, I suggest trying to adjust the FIV (Fast Idle Valve)

refer to this post with some pics a and a link to a DIY:

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=155382

people have argued with me, that that will not effect the cold idle, but I beg to diff, I had the same problem, only thing is, you have to adjust that while the car is cold, but that fixed my idle, I was told vacumm leak etc... and I adjusted that and have no more idling problem. I ha dhte idle jumping from 800 upto as high asto 2000, when it was warm or cold, in neutral or park or drive, but when in drive, it would only do it when stopped, at a light etc... I was worried about driving in a lane highway and a cop pulling up beside me with my idling problem...
                Last edited by TpyoKnig; 01-16-2005, 10:43 PM.
                Im finally back!

Comment

I went out n tried ajusting the screw for the FIV, kinda worked for a sec, but not really. Then i figured id see if it was fuel related. I gave her a fresh tank of 93 octane and poured in octane booster and fuel system cleaner. This actually DID help, it still jumps, but not nearly as much. After driving a hundred miles today, i poured in more of both and it helped more, but its still there a bit. Lemme know what you guys think, im thinkin this points to the fuel injectors being bad, or maybe the pump cus the filter is brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by TpyoKnig
                    Once again, I suggest trying to adjust the FIV (Fast Idle Valve)

refer to this post with some pics a and a link to a DIY:

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=155382

Yeah, i would try that now... I just figured it would be nice if it was just the screw since it took only a few seconds. But try that FIV out, and hopefully it should fix it for ya

Comment

Working...
                    X