Where is the ignitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the ignitor?

There are multiple threads describing symptoms of a bad ignitor, so I know that's what I need to replace.

AutoZone just called, they have the part in.

But in the car, how do I find the ignitor to replace it? Is it inside the distributor? Attached?

Just checked index of both Chiltons and Haynes, neither one has "ignitor". And none of the threads I found here show a picture.

Thanks, guys.

And... if this fixes my problem, I'm going to try to do a post that describes the symptoms and fix for a bad ignitor as clearly as possible, because I see a decent number of members here went round and round on this one, with [well meaning] suggestions all over the map... and the end they say "fixed it... it was the ignitor"... where if they knew what I know now, they could have saved themselves some time and headache.

Pull your distributor cap. Remove the rotor (it'd be smart to replace these things while you're at it). Remove the dust shield. The ignitor is under their. It's easy to see... a little square with 3 gel-coated plugs on it. Carefully pull the plugs off, unscrew it, and put the new one in. Easy to do. I carry spares on me all the time (I never buy new... just use old junkyard parts and swap them out as needed!)

Comment

look in your Haynes. its under ignition control module

Comment

Of he could just do what I said.

Comment

What's this?!

When taking off the distributor cap, I was yanking the cold air intake and the longest coolant hose around... and then I noticed what looks like something that's supposed to have a hose attached to it, but I don't see where I pulled it off... it's directly underneath the coolant hose.

Can anybody tell me what this is, and where the other end of the hose I must have pulled off is attached to, so I can re-attach it!

Thanks!

D

Last edited by do2mind; 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Should be just a rubber cap

Comment

remember to use dielectric grease on the heatshield to aide in heat transfer. you dont want that ignitor to get hot otherwise it will prematurely fail.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
              X